Juno

Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 AM

What a beautiful horse. Horses and cattle don't seem too bothered by the cold. Our cattle have a barn to go into where dh puts down fresh straw but they choose to stay outside in the pasture-even when the wind is blowing. A few weeks ago we had down to -45 wind chills and they were right out in it, playing. Today it was about -4 all day without the wind (there wasn't a lot of wind but a few gusts) and the cattle were all laying in the pasture-outside. Then later they were head-butting each other. On Sunday we left to go to town and one of them ran alongside as we left. Never had one do that before.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Aww how precious !!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 AM

Better than laying in the snow, warmer.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM

I have a horse but love cows too. Many of my relations had farms and I spent alot of time growing up with cows and they can be fully as all get out. Many years ago, cousin sent me to pines to look for a cow due to calf who had not come in rest for milking. Rode my horse (not one I have now) bareback with bridle, found cow, who took off, so got off horse, took bridle off and used two fingers to get calf to follow me several miles back to barn.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Brrr, don't you have a spare quilt for her? Just kidding - she looks like she is taking care of herself!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM

Beautiful! I have my American Paint on my property. I love watching her. They are okay in the weather as long as they have been allowed to become accustomed to it. Horses that are stabled and constantly protected from the elements end up not growing the coat of hair they need. My horse (Buttons) is spoiled rotten and I blanket her probably more that I really need to. However, my dad (who lives next door) will call me and say, "it's cold outside, don't you think I need to put her in?" Uh, no, she's a horse. She can take it! And actually she's better off outside than being shut up in a barn all night and day. I do put her in during the winter at night. Living in Kentucky, I see the thoroughbreds out unblanketed in the fields with temps in the single digits. They are fine!!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM

What a lucky pair you and Juno are. Congratulations on owning such a beautiful animal.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb View Post
Beautiful! I have my American Paint on my property. I love watching her. They are okay in the weather as long as they have been allowed to become accustomed to it. Horses that are stabled and constantly protected from the elements end up not growing the coat of hair they need. My horse (Buttons) is spoiled rotten and I blanket her probably more that I really need to. However, my dad (who lives next door) will call me and say, "it's cold outside, don't you think I need to put her in?" Uh, no, she's a horse. She can take it! And actually she's better off outside than being shut up in a barn all night and day. I do put her in during the winter at night. Living in Kentucky, I see the thoroughbreds out unblanketed in the fields with temps in the single digits. They are fine!!
I read an article about blanketing horses and how it's not a good idea. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
What a lucky pair you and Juno are. Congratulations on owning such a beautiful animal.
she is a tenant-we are renting our field to someone-but we love watching her and the other horse all the time