Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a 'few' left ....

I'm Wish we had that many! Most I've ever seen was 3. I live about 25 miles N. of Seattle WA. They stay year around or the females do, I don't think its the Males I see in the Cold! 'Anna's Humming birds' are what we have here most often. I make my Sugar water stronger in the winter so it won't freeze up! Works great and its good for the Birds too gives them More Energy for the Cold weather.
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing, that's amazing!
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Beautiful. And I am thrilled when I see one.

Where do you buy your feeders that have so many holes? Ours only have 6 holes and birds wait in line to eat. I bought 25lb of sugar yesterday and most of it is for the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    I'm Wish we had that many! Most I've ever seen was 3. I live about 25 miles N. of Seattle WA. They stay year around or the females do, I don't think its the Males I see in the Cold! 'Anna's Humming birds' are what we have here most often. I make my Sugar water stronger in the winter so it won't freeze up! Works great and its good for the Birds too gives them More Energy for the Cold weather.
    Hi - I have heard it is NOT a good idea to deviate from the 1 to 4 ratio of sugar to water when making hummingbird food.

PS - what ever happened to the lady from TN who posted pics of all her hummingbirds? I think her name was Dorothy?? She had hummers as her avatar.

Well, Jan, the hummers never stop moving and they require many, many calories per hour! We love them calling to us to refill their feeders. They hover in front of our porch windows and "fuss" at us. Lovely to watch.

My MIL has a hummingbird feeder and gets a few.....by that I mean 3 or 4 a day.......yours is amazing. I've seen one on my "hummingbird" bush that I planted to attract hummingbirds just this year. They are so pretty.

We feed hummers too! I live in western KY, so they are plentiful. I make up the food and store it in milk jugs in the refrigerator. The hummingbird website says to not feed the red stuff, but to make your own 1 pt. sugar to 4 pts. water. It does not need to be boiled anymore. We were going through a gallon a day. My hummers will not share though. There's always a dominant one who tries to chase off the others. I always keep them up until a month has gone by without seeing any. They also eat insects, but because their metabolism is so high, they require sugar water or nectar from flowers for energy. If you start to feed them and discontinue, they will die because they are dependent on your feeder.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    we also live in Iowa but did not have very many hummers do you have a secret to attract them??? It was so hot here I think that is why we did not have only a couple.

Thanks for sharing your hummingbirds with us. I have many this year but not as many as you. I was making a quart and a half a day. Only have a few left now.

By the way, does anyone know why hummingbirds hum?????

They don't know the words!
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast