Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just sent son away to college  :( >

Just sent son away to college :(

Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 PM

My only child, my sweet little baby, just moved into his dorm today. I helped him move, helped him unpack a little, even made his bed, then he very politely kicks me out when I talk about rearranging furniture.

I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. When he was three he was diagnosed with something that was supposed to keep him institutionalized when he got older. Showed those idiots how much they know! Honors student in Honors dorm, with Honors scholarships.

Anyways, now its just me and my mother. We don't seem to get along much these days, but as she has not been on my side of the house for years, we may survive being alone together! :roll:

I thought I would be so excited for him, and I am, but I didn't realize it would be this hard on me. I've just been sitting here trying not to cry. Finally downloaded a really sad romance novel from my library, and had a great excuse to cry for a couple hours. Ok, now what? I was also excited as I could now quilt in the middle of the night (when I am always awake - work nights) and not disturb his sleep. Maybe I'll want to tonight. Right now you couldn't get me out of this bed and into my quilting room (dining room) at gunpoint.

Sheesh!! I am not normally depressed and whiny, but I sure am now. For those of you who have been there/done that and have the tshirt, what got you out of the big blue funk???? Virg
Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Congratulations! It is a happy thing even though it does not feel like it. It will take you awhile to get used to it but force yourself to do something, quilt, iron, go for a walk, and you'll feel better.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

It's a normal think whenyour child leaves the nest. But beleive me it will get better with time, Find something to occupy yourself with like quilt ot whatever you like to do.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM

For another good cry, watch Steel Magnolias. Don't worry Momma, he's missing you just as much, he just won't say it out loud.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

And focus on the positive- you can quilt when you want, eat what you want, when you want. Less laundry ( well until he comes home to visit :wink: ) And he will be home for visits , won't he ? Holidays , Fall Break , Winter Break, Spring Break
Old 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM

It is a process...kind of like being pregnant for 9 months--some days you laugh for no reason--some days you cry! You will fill in your own blanks, and he will give you lots of joy in his continued growth into adulthood.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM

You should be so proud of yourself. If your child, male or female feels secure enough to move out of the house then that means that you've taught them what they need to survive! It is wonderful. He will always need you and love you. Think of the new experiences that he will have. His first girlfriend at school and maybe down the road, grandchildren. Oh my, this is a GOOD THING. I always told everyone that I wasn't sad that my kids moved. Because it means that I gave them enough courage, adventure and security to tackle the world. Pat yourself on the back. You did GREAT!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Give yourself today to cry and mope. Tomorrow is a new day full of quilting. Be happy for all of his new experiences. And know that you raised a wonderful young man and you will always be his mom.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM

I wish you the best. It will get easier as the days go by. Just quilt and keep your mind on that.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 PM

When I dropped my kids off, good thing dh drove because I sobbed for a couplle miles. Almost crying now.