Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just what I needed, flooding... >

Just what I needed, flooding...

Just what I needed, flooding...

Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I am so sorry (((HUGS)))
I hope that whatever caused this is an easy fix. What a pain!!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Had that happen twice, so I kow the heartach, and the mess! Both times it was the sump pump that failed. First time it actually floated out of the hole, the second time, it just plain didn't work and the back-up battery one didn't turn on because the power didn't go off. Hubby says if it happens again he is filling in the basement!! It does look nice right now though LOL
Old 07-23-2011, 07:52 AM

So sorry to hear you had to go through this. What a pain.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

So sorry.best of luck with clean up!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Hope it was "clean" water instead of "poo" water. We live on a flood plain and have had two floods in the ladt 5 years. Hope things go well and that the water didn't get too deep.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Well, I was right...the pump failed.
nearly $1000 later, the flood control is working again...of course it had to happen on a weekend, so you get premium rate.
The rugs are cut up and removed...too heavy to pick up in one piece...Hubby was even struggling with it. I think all the furniture will be OK...just the bottom inch or so of the fabric was wet...I have the big chair tipped and a fan blowing on it. My hubby's laptop fried. :roll: ,but, if he didn't have it sitting on the floor, it wouldn't have happened....and he knows better than to turn on a wet electronic. :thumbdown:
We are still debating on wether to file a claim...$1000 deductable.
One good thing is my hubby is having to clean out his bedroom. It was a sty! He lost all the paperback books that were under the bed. When he finishes reading one, he just shoves it under the bed....oh well. The bookshelf is only a few feet away.
Writing down everything that is going out the door, in case we file. I hate to do it...we had a claim last year for the roof, from storm damage, and this may cause our rates to go sky high.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 AM

I really am concerned about the flooding in Chicago. Read about the horrible 6 + inches or rain. I am formerly from a suburb of Chicago and know how those rains can destroy more than just vegetation. I pray that everything turns out to be OK with your problem and others who have similar problems.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 AM

I've had 2 cousins that this has happened to this spring. One in WI and one in Spokane, WA. Just been a wet spring in too many areas I guess. Hope you get it all cleaned and settled with the ins co. Never much fun when this kind of thing happens. Area of W WA where I live basements aren't common because of our rain. I would love to have a basement.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
First, I spend 3 hours trying to get Tink to stop pacing the floors...it was storming. Lots of thunder and lightning...so I ended up rocking, cuddling, just trying to get her to go to bed...
I just get her to lay down and was going to try to close my eyes....and my hubby yells from our basement..."We're flooding"
We have flood control...so we haven't flooded in 20 years. Our sump must have failed or the valve is stuck in the open position.

We have a finished basement...and 2 bedrooms down there, plus the family room. My husband found out about the water

hen he got up to go to the bathroom. He had about 2 inches in his bedroom, the family room rug is ruined...but I wanted a new one anyhow....but not this way.
It is now 4:30 in the morning and I still haven't gone to sleep. This is going to be a long day.
He got irritated at me while we were picking things up. I left his side and went into the other bedroom and picked up the bolt of warm and natural that I was storing in there. It is dry...I had it in a high corner. :D
When the sun comes up...the sewer cover in our front lawn that covers the flood control, will be coming up to see what the problem is. I just hoping that all that's needed is a new sump...but I don't know why we didn't get an alert that it was failing.
Oh well...the basement did need a good scrubbing...but not at 4 am.
I saw on the news that you received 7 inches of rain yesterday, no wonder you were flooded..the storm sewers couldn't handle it!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 AM

We don't have a basement but our central Ac will clog up & the water runs into DS's bedroom & down the hall. We have a clean out val on it so we hook up the water hose & blow it out every couple of months. We have gotten good now & stay 1 step ahead of it. But what a mess & it always happens at the crack of dawn & you discover it on a trip to bathroom. Do you have flood insurance? Your policy may not cover it if you don't. Good luck & hope the mess is gone soon.