Just When Fall Gets Here

Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Sewnoma, I kind of understand. My mother liked the smell of gasoline.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

You quilters are ALL so lucky. it is still hot out here in So CA I have had to set my A/C up to 81. Not looking forward to seeing my electric bill this month.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 AM

I live in Northern California and all we can smell is smoke. Last night is was cool and windy so the winds brought the smoke in. It is awful this morning.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 AM

We are in my kind of weather stage, between 70 and lower 80s. I have allergies and can't open my windows any time of the yr. But my house is on the cool side especially with 3 air cleaners going. I don't like it too cold because it seams now that I'm older, the cold goes right to my bones and then it takes forever to heat them back up.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 AM

When we were married (56 yrs ago) we remodeled an a-banded farm house, we had to dig a basement and the men found skunkS had made their home there. Well the old saying that if a skunk sprays on wood near you it will last for seven years ! It's true, every time we had company or if it rained , it was there. We are still in that house, no more skink smell, but hubby has a No Kill trap out ever since and still gets one once in awhile. We learned to cover the trap with a blanket before going near it.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

ITs raining here and the smell is wonderful so far .. We had skunk on the camping trip; but now that we are home the rain smells good !
Old 10-06-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
You are all going to think I'm totally insane, but I sort of LIKE the smell of skunk. Not if it's so close and/or fresh that it has that sharp edge that makes your eyes water, but the old or distant skunk smell...I actually like it.

It makes me think of puppy breath, and dark coffee. I will take skunk smell over freshly-fertilized-field smell any day!! Or even worse, the "fragrance" that comes from the local dairy cows.

I live in a suburb that's right on the edge of where town ends and the country begins, so I get to smell both on a regular basis. When the wind changes and starts blowing towards my house from the dairy, you would be amazed at how quick DH & I can get all the windows in the house closed!
Sewnoma, I belong to the secret society of folks who like the smell of skunk, too! I always thought I was a weirdo because I liked it. It reminds me of puppy breath and fresh dark roasted coffee, too. (Two of my favorite smells.) Those are exactly the examples I used as I tried to explain to my DH why it didn't bother me when we had a family of skunks in the neighborhood sharing their aroma.

Also agree that dairy, pig and chicken farms smell MUCH worse! Thanks for keeping me in good company!