Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Keepsake Idea for Deploying Soldiers >

Keepsake Idea for Deploying Soldiers

Keepsake Idea for Deploying Soldiers

Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM

My son-in-law is a Marine who served in Kosovo and 2 tours in Iraq. Right now he's enjoying a recruiting stint, but will be transferred back to 29 Palms, CA in late June and be deployed who-knows-where "shortly" thereafter. He has asked me to make something for him again, and has asked me to post this online because so many of his peers admired his "treasure" so much I had to make several for them as well.

I took downloaded photos of him, my daughter and his son&daughter and cut-and-pasted them into a WORD document that had .375 inch margins. I was able to resize all of them to fill the page as best I could. I then printed three pages of photos onto white photo transfer sheets, sewed them together in a long column, backed them right sides together (NO BATTING) with Marine fabric, turned it inside out (closing the hole with Steam-A-Seam Light) and affixed two grosgrain ribbon ties for AJ to roll up and secure. I stitched the back and front together between the photos and about 1/8" from the outside edge.

AJ didn't have to worry about ruining original pictures with sand, sweat or whatever; didn't have to worry about how much something weighed (he's infantry) and could carry it any how anywhere; could hang it anywhere he wanted or tie it to anything he wanted; could fold it anyway he wanted ... you get the idea.

Thanks for letting me share!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

what a wonderful idea!!!! i recall that soldiers used to keep photos in their helmets. this is much better.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

that's a wonderful idea!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Great Idea. A reminder of why he is there, close to him.:)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM

What an absolutely AWESOME idea!

I might also add that it might be nice to add his name, branch, rank, and serial number and of course "Made with Love" somewhere, just in case it would get separated from him. It could then always find it's way back home to him.

It would also be noted that bright fabrics probably shouldn't be used. I would use camo or camo type colors, greens, beige, tans, dark blues, greys, etc for the fabric opposite the pictures. The white fabric is sure not to stay white, so you could also lightly tea stain the white printing fabric for the photo side.

This could be used as a scarf, face wind break, etc. oh how cool this is! You could also combine this with some helmet and neck coolers in matching or coordinating fabrics.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful keepsake of and from home to help get them through until they return.

Thoughts and prayers to your son-in-law and all of our military personnel doing their part for all of us in such a difficult time.

Pam M
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM

That is an awesome idea!!! My son will be coming home next week, but will be going back to Afghanistan in January. I might just have to do something like that for him.
Thanks for the great idea!!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM

I am bookmarking this so if my son is ever deployed I can make this for him to take. Thank you so much for sharing your idea!!!

Sue