Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Disasters

Quote Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    I'm interested in knowing some of the crazy things you've done in the kitchen. (No, not that, you perv.) These could be things that happened when you were first learning to cook, bake, etc. or just learning a new technique.

I made an apple pie once and forgot to peel the apples.
    Not that?!? Ummmmm...... nope... got nothin else! LOL ;-)

kpc
    Shelley, my hubby did the same thing with a pan of brownies, :shock: I found glass for 6 months behind fridge, stove, cabinets.

Blog Entries
    Well let's see when I got married 34 years ago I did not know how to cook. I would boil eggs and forget them and they would explode and decorate the ceilling.
    I tried to make biscuits and they were so bad the dog wouldn't even eat them. My DH would tell people you could bounce them off the wall.
    My prowess in the kitchen was so well known by my BILs that they would bring food with them when they came so they wouldn't have to eat my cooking!!! They were young when we got married so I kinda helped raise the younger 4 so I got teased alot.
    My youngest BIL was 7 and he would eat anything I made even if it was burnt!

I did learn to cook and even cooked for a daycare I worked at so I do cook from scratch 30 years later and I do some baking.

Blog Entries

I also have a mental block when I bake cookies. I can make the best trays of cookies until I get to the last tray or two and I burn them every time!!!

I have gotten so I put part of the dough in the freezer and bake it as needed and I don't burn it as often but I still do sometimes!

I had everything cut up and waiting in individual serving dishes on the counter for tacos, and we eat a super supreme taco. When reaching in the cabinet above to get a plate, I dropped it, and it broke all over in the food! I had to start all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    My sister made a turkey once. Then called me to ask Where are the giblets? I told her they were INSIDE the turkey! She said she couldn't find them and stuffed it and it was in the oven already. She found them...AFTER the turkey was done lol
    I did the giblet thing the first time I made Thanksgiving dinner. I was so embarrassed. :oops: :oops: :oops: My husband teased me soooo much. That was til his mom told him if he knew it all he could make the turkey next year. I really loved that lady.

Blog Entries
    Made a cake tonight and the darn thing ran over the side of the pan and into the oven. The only thing I can think of is that the new stand mixer fluffed up the dough too much. Yikes! Now the whole house stinks because I have to run the self-cleaning function on the oven. grrrr.

I think I give up housework all together and stick to quilting.

Blog Entries

I used to cook for a daycare and had large professional ovens. I decided to try to make a lemon desert bar and you had to bake it. It took vinegar and baking soda. I went to check on it and all I could see was yellow clouds of dough in this oven that was probably 3' x 3'. There was batter dripping off the top and when it began to subside the whole oven was a great big sticky mess!!! I apparently had used the wrong amounts!! It was like a volcano blew up in there!

This isn't from learning anything new,except that I did. I never knew that potatoes could explode until one did - in my brand NEW oven! I guess it just couldn't take the heat. I had poked it as usual. Now I know why people wrap them in foil. What a mess! Dinner was delayed and I will use the microwave on potatoes from now on!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judee0624
    I never knew that potatoes could explode until one did
    I didn't know that either. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast