I spent the entire day from 10:30 till after 7 helping a friend with a vallance for her kitchen. She has 4 to do, and we managed to get one done, the smallest one. We wanted to do it first as the "prototype". Made a few errors, but nothing too bad. It turned out so darn cute! (Will try to post a picture soon.) The top strip (about 4") is a flower-patterned fabric with casing, then there is a narrower strip of red fabric, then a narrow strip of the print again, but with small tucks all along it (done with my ruffling foot), then a wide strip of lace, then another narrow strip of the print. She was coppying the ones she is replacing but with fabric she likes better, so it was an exercise in figuring out how to do it. Many techniques I learned in quilting were very helpful (including Elmer's Glue to hold fabric in place before stitching). We also used the "magic pillowcase" technique in the last step to attach the top piece. It worked great. She has three more windows to do, all larger. I'm hoping she can do them on her own, but I am available to help if she needs it. We had a fun day.