Kool Aid anyone?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 AM

I buy drinks to go and koolade is one of them. you can add them to abottle of water. they come in a box of 8 to 10. they are sugar free . I get them at walmart. At home i add tap water and ice...then everyone can have there choice and the refridegator isn't full of pitchers.

these look like a section of a paper straw, and easy to throw in your purse
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
I buy drinks to go and koolade is one of them. you can add them to abottle of water. they come in a box of 8 to 10. they are sugar free . I get them at walmart. At home i add tap water and ice...then everyone can have there choice and the refridegator isn't full of pitchers.

I buy these too for the grandkids and then I don't waste any when they leave. I used to make a pitcher but if they didn't use it I had to throw it away. I have to give med to my autistic grandson and I use koolaid to make the med taste better. So the singles work really well!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp

I buy these too for the grandkids and then I don't waste any when they leave. I used to make a pitcher but if they didn't use it I had to throw it away. I have to give med to my autistic grandson and I use koolaid to make the med taste better. So the singles work really well!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Koolaid Playdough

2 1/2 cup flour
1/3 c. salt
3 T. oil
2 c. water
2 unsweetened koolaid pks
I use 2 of the same flavor. You can experiment with mixing if you like. It doesn't matter.

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and cook over med heat. It will start to get thick and it will form a ball. Just keep stirring all the time and it only takes a few min to ball up.

Take the ball out of the pan(it will be hot!) and knead it like breaddough.
As soon as it cools enough I divide it and give portions to the kids to let them help knead it. You may see streaks of flour so the kneading will work it all into an even consistancy. It is really warm and the kids get a kick out of the warmth.

I make several colors with differant scents. The koolaid gives it a great smell ( not always real strong but still there)
This is a great sensory experience for kids!

Use cookie cutters and rolling pins. Or run cars over it for a neat design. I give them butter knives and straws to make holes in their creations. Straws make great eyes when they poke a hole in the dough. Play scissors and toy dishes give them a creative experience also. They love to "cook" with the playdough
Any playdough that hits the floor gets taken away!

I store them in plastic baggies. They last quite awhile.

I also have recipes for making peanut butter playdough as kids like to eat things-Finger paint-Silly putty and puffy paint- and salt dough. This is nontoxic play.

If you like you can add cinnamon instead of koolaid and either way you can make things in the playdough and let them set on a cookie sheet til they dry. We have made Christmas ornaments this way. My kids love to make animals and let them dry to take home. It takes several days for it to dry. Or you can dry them in a 200 degree oven. They sometimes look a little cracked but that just adds to their charm!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Thanks Rhonda! You are super to share this! I will have to make it next time the little grandsons come from St Louis. They would love to watch it all come together too.
You're welcome Loretta I learned to do this when I went to work in The Owl's Nest Day Care center several years ago. It has stood up to the test of time. It is easy to do and lasts pretty well. One recipe I have uses food coloring instead but I have had some not so great experiences with food coloring!! It can stain your hands. :evil:
I used food coloring in cool whip for the 4th of July at Day Care one time. I had strawberry shortcake so thought I would be smart and tint the cool whip blue. The only problem was everyone(over 60 kids and teachers) had a blue face and tongue for the rest of the day!!!!!!! It was funny!!! but I never did that again!! :mrgreen:

Another recipe I have uses 2-3 T of cream of tarter to make it last longer but I don't use it. I just keep the playdough in the fridge. The salt is enough of a preservative in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

When my kids were little I would wash out a milk jug and add one can of frozen apple juice, 1/2 of sugar and a package of Kool Aid and fill it up with water...They always thought it was straight Kool Aid...didn't know that it was good for them, LOL I also froze it in little dixie cups with popcylce sticks :wink: And now I do this for my grands 8)
Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 AM

My kids (all 4) grew up on Kool Aid and we still drink it! I am like some here.....I don't put in as much sugar. There are diferent flavors so you don't get so tired of all of the same thing.

We like the Country Time too and we are BIG Iced Tea drinkers too. Lipton has a Rasberry Flavor of Tea that we like!!

Iced Water is also a favorite here!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 AM

I too grew up with it along with Funny Face. My DD grew up with it also. But have not had it for some time now.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM

We don't have Kool Aide in the UK. The closest thing we have is squash, which is made up of concentrated liquid cordial added to water, usually orange or blackcurrant, but comes in all sorts of flavours. I missed it when I lived in the US, couldn't find it anywhere, and it was too heavy for my Mom to post out to me. Us Brits used to sit round and dream about Ribena, which is a brand of squash cordial, blackcurrant flavoured! YUM!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 AM

Grew up on Kool- Aid. Mama used to save pineapple juice & mix it in as some of the water with cherry or Tropical punch kool-aid. It was really good too. It was like party punch. Use to use it with my kids for birthdays & such. Haven't tried the mango yet but I bet it has potential. Have you tried the Mango Berry Breeze at Sonic Drive Ins. It is so refreshing, a little sweet but good. The pineapple juice works with any flavor.