Lactose Intolerance

Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Through trial and error, I've figured out that my digestive upsets are related to cow's milk. I've got to make a switch.

Anyone use lactose free milk or soy milk? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your input!

Sue
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Lactose free milk tastes just like milk. Soy tastes a bit different and is definitely up to your taste buds. Both are good and i prefer lactose free.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

If you try soy, I suggest starting with Silk brand Vanilla -- tastes better to me than others.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:31 PM

I use lactose free. Never tried soy milk.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Lactose free milk tastes just like milk. Soy tastes a bit different and is definitely up to your taste buds. Both are good and i prefer lactose free.
ditto!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM

My family drinks Lactose free milk. There are a couple different brands of those. Their favorite is the Knudsen brand over the Lactaid brand. Lactose free milk is a touch sweeter in taste than regular milk. You can find it in regular, low fat and fat free. There is even Lactose free Ice Cream out there.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Be sure to continue narrowing down your issue. It may be more than lactose that you are reacting to. You may be reacting to other proteins in the milk.

If you like cow's milk, I would try the lactose free milk for awhile and see if that helps you.

At our house we use Rice milk. My son and I both have issues with milk proteins so we cannot have regular milk at all. The rice milk doesn't really taste like anything to me. There is no overwhelming odd flavor. You can also buy it in Vanilla flavor. We use it to cook and bake with no issue.

Soy milk really has a different flavor. It does come in several flavors - chocolate, vanilla, fortified, etc. You can use it to bake like regular milk. We don't really care for it. Also, too much soy in your diet is not always a good thing (and soy is in almost everything now!).

You can also try hemp milk (most like cow's milk in consistency and texture) and almond milk. Goat's milk may also be an option for you.

Also be careful because milk and whole milk can be found in tons of processed and boxed foods as well as foods prepared in restaurants. It won't do you much good to have the lactose free milk or soy milk, just to consume food with milk in it. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM

I use the Silk Vanilla-flavored soy milk. If you not had soy milk before, it will take a little while to get used to it. The texture will be like milk, but the flavor will be different.

I tried Almond milk, but I can't get used to the almond flavor in it. (yeah, it's crazy, but...)
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM

I generally buy the lactose free milk. I've tried the soy milk too and liked the lactose free better, it was the closest to vit D to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Personally I rarely drink milk, but we narrowed my granddaughter "gas" problems to milk. I buy the Lactaid milk, one it's a lot cheaper than the acidofolis (sp) or the soy. We don't have a large selection of stores to select from. You could also try goats milk, which has very good digestibility.