Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The last time you shopped... >

The last time you shopped...

The last time you shopped...

Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM

Default The last time you shopped...

Saturday I went shopping, intending to buy something for myself because I was feeling needy and unloved (boohoohoo, lol) , but ended up at Hobby Lobby where I bought $18 worth of fab (@30% off!) to make happy mats (aka “mug rugs” but don’t like that name) for my kids and gs for Valentine’s Day (I better get sewing!). So I started thinking of that- how often I go out for something for me but end up with something for someone else- and realized that’s usually how it goes. I also realized when I do buy something for myself, unless it’s necessary, it’s to make me smile – a funny magnet ($3), a pasta valance for my kitchen (@WM, BH&G $10 and ready to hang!) the 3" plastic smiley face flower that waves its leaves when the light hits it ($4.99).

So I’m wondering...when you go shopping to feed some emotion, do you buy for yourself, your home, or someone else? Also, what is the typical price range you will pay for you, compared to your home or someone else? And lastly, do your spirits pick up when you buy for yourself, your home, or someone else?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM

I love you treated yourself. When buying for someone else, we usually don't hesitate or look to closely at the prize. We are much stingier and careful, if it's for ourselves, but we need to remember, we are worth it too.

Great job, treat yourself more often.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

when i got divorced, my ex husband yelled at me to go buy something for myself [instead of the house or family]!! LOL so i bought a bicycle, a softball bat and glove, and some music. that was 40 years ago and i still remember it.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I buy myself little things under $10 for treats. That of course does not include my fabric budget and there I spend what I want, when I want.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM

I prefer to spend money on doing things instead of "things." I hate junk and try not to spend unless I really need something. I tend to feel guilty. When I do spend for myself, I prefer to buy fitness clothes. It motivates me to work out and I have fun buying it.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM

I hate shopping, so it's all I can do to buy anything.! Luckily, my husband likes to grocery shop, and I do most of my shopping online. I just don't enjoy leaving home once I get there from work!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I have expensive taste, but buy wholesale or below. When I buy for my son, the sky's the limit.
A 3/4 ct diamond ring for hs graduation, (wholesale of course). when I buy for dh, it depends, on cloths I go midway, but buy the best I can for him. for me, I have a tendency to buy loose stones (gems) at wholesale from Bancock and such and set them into mounting I get below wholesale usually at lest 3/4 to a ct diamonds in 14k gold.I also buy very rare unusual stones. Last gift I bought myself was a 4.87 ct. diamond tennis bracelet. Fabric, depends, I need a sale, never pay full price for anything, ever. EVER. took my son to lunch today, Joe's crab shack, $87.00 before tip. he Loves seafood and unusual food, ie eel, kangaroo ect. depends on the situation what's being bought.
buy good the first time.But I tend not to buy above what I need.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 PM

I dont do a lot of shopping for me except... i love books! Those I only buy cheap or swap! I hate to spend money!!! Even grocery shopping most of the stuff i buy is for dh or someone else! Im not a big eater. Isnt that the way of moms or women? We spend on others! Luckily if I need or really wansomething dh gets it for me! :-)
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by lovingmama View Post
I love you treated yourself. When buying for someone else, we usually don't hesitate or look to closely at the prize. We are much stingier and careful, if it's for ourselves, but we need to remember, we are worth it too.

Great job, treat yourself more often.

We are supposed to shop for others? I treat myself often! I have always been "worth it". Those hair color commercials trained me well!

sandy
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Lynnie,

I wanna go shopping with you! Two years ago I bought myself a ten year anniversary diamond ring! I knew that DH would not know what I wanted so I surprised him with his "gift" that I bought for me. As I get older, I love the bling more. Maybe it is "age". My late aunt had diamond rings on every finger and wore them proudly! I wont go that far but I love to window shop! Colored gemstones are my weakness too.

sandy