Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lattice Multiplication  anyone???? >

Lattice Multiplication anyone????

Lattice Multiplication anyone????

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM

And my daughter WAS AND STILL IS Dyslexic but she got where she is by carefully putting work in 10 and 15 minute segments, more or less like the Internet Flylady suggests all of us do. Very effective use of time.
She also loves reading the Anne McCaffree science fiction novels, which are not slim books and have a lot of difficult sections in them. I've given some of them to other women and had them returned as being "too hard to read" and other comments that make me believe that they can't read that well.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Publicity. Publicity. Publicity, that is what schools hate.
I suggest that you make an appointment to see the principle and tell him/her why, and ask permission to bring along a disinterested friend..who works for the local newspaper.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Hey! I hope things got figured out, I recently took Math for Elementary School teachers and had to learn a billion ways of multiplication. I found a worksheet that seems to explain it pretty simply.

http://www.superteacherworksheets.co...e/lattice2.pdf

Try this, and if it doesn't help, you are more than welcome to PM me :)
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Had one who didn't mark in the book that had been turned in, finally worked it out that were checked in at the office before taken to class!! (Problem solved) This was also the one who never finished gifty projects till sent home at the end of the year, thanks for the xmas gift in june... humm what was taught that year?
But most have ran into are Great... and just teaching what they are told to.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 AM

Don't blame the teachers. The local school board falls for all these new methods presented to them by book companies and decide to try these new methods to raise their rank in the state. Then, teachers are obligated to use these methods. It is up to parents to talk to the school board and express their concerns. Believe me, the teachers would appreciate the parental input. They also dislike the "new" way of teaching. Retired 5th grade teacher.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

the main reason to give the new technique a try is because the teacher is evidently using the technique in class and if you 'choose' to teach your gs some other way he will never catch-on and be able to understand what the teacher is talking about. you are setting him up to fail.
when my son was in algebra class years ago he had a teacher that was doing something i thought was ridiculous and took twice as long to get to the answer we figured out (my-way) he struggled through the whole year and even when he had the answer correct he was graded on writing out the whole problem and steps, since he did not follow the steps the teacher taught he was marked wrong on everything. teacher and i went round and round...i could not help him with his homework because i was causing him to fail math. sometimes it seems the correct end result is not as important as the steps you took to get there :wink:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by lizzy
Don't blame the teachers. The local school board falls for all these new methods presented to them by book companies and decide to try these new methods to raise their rank in the state. Then, teachers are obligated to use these methods. It is up to parents to talk to the school board and express their concerns. Believe me, the teachers would appreciate the parental input. They also dislike the "new" way of teaching. Retired 5th grade teacher.
I agree with Lizzy - we are obligated to 'teach' what ever the 'newest method' of whatever comes along. We often don't like it, and it is only when parents get involved (as the progress of their child declines) that we return to the "old fashioned" way of doing thing. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

my brain always had a different way of doing math. drove my teachers nuts. "you must do it my way" attitude. why?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM

I teach 5th grade. Lattice is introduced before they get to me. It offers a new algorithm for some to try; partial products is another. But I encourage traditional multiplication in my class, although I tell them to use what helps them be most successful . I do suggest they can't be drawing lattice boards every time they need to multiply as a adult. :wink: We've had races too... whoever is doing traidtional always wins. That motivates them more than anything to learn it. :lol:
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by dvseals
*shakes head* I totally sympathize with you, I can't figure out the "new improved" stuff either always drove me nuts tryin to help kids do homework and trying to show them the way the teachers wanted it done only to have both of us even more confused and no homework done.

We're having issues with my daughter's algebra teacher.

here's just the latest edition of algebra gone wrong.

Daughter just told me he "informed" them today that he's lost the grades for this half of the trimester and if the kids don't have the "hard copies" of their papers they'll get 0's...(most of which he hasn't handed back to them and said he doesn't want to re-grade them)

he claims he told them at beginning of year to save all papers..
he rarely uses real "paper" 95% of it's done on the computer so him telling them to keep their "papers" is kinda hard to believe as you can't save what you don't use.

And if he wasn't so engrossed with the football playoffs maybe he wouldn't have "deleted" the grades to begin with.

okies I'ma stop now before I rant any further..
We learned in grade school to save EVERY paper our daughter came home with. Her third grade teacher didn't like her and made no secret about it. She said dd didn't turn in a paper that I remember seeing that had been graded but we had tossed it. She got a 0 on it. After that I kept everything! at least until the end of the school year.