Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LED lighting bad for your health ? >

LED lighting bad for your health ?

LED lighting bad for your health ?

Old 04-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Default LED lighting bad for your health ?

I've been reading about the health problems that LED lights may cause. I asked my eye Dr. and he said studies show LED will slow down the retina's ability to produce melatonin, needed by the retina which can led to Macular Degeneration. Getting lots of sunlight in the home is important if you use LED bulbs.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Oh great, something else not good for me.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Well, I've been reading articles online from medical sites. Not one has anything good to say about LED bulbs being good for children or anyone. Something about the flicker that isn't good for the body that the eye can't see. Messes up the good light absorption. Hard to explain without reading a lot. The government knew this before making the LED bulbs mandatory. Saving energy is more important. Medical reports say the few dollars saved per family isn't worth it for the damage caused.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 AM

They cause my husband instant eye pain. Our eye doctor said it is how the eye absorbs or doesn't absorb the light. Older eyes will not be able to & some will feel the pain from it. We can't use any of them in our house. Thank goodness I stocked up on iridescent bulbs long ago. I have enough to see us thru life.

I read an article about the LED street lights in CA. Doctors insisted they were way to bright & would cause eye problems.

They may also cause problems with birds & other animals that need darkness.

We weren't ment to live in bright light 24 x 7.

The thing is it will take many people to end up with a major eye issue before they will change from LED.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Dr Oz featured that info a day or two ago... his expert says incandescents are the ones to have, but halogen are also OK
Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 AM

We installed over 45 curly florescent bulbs in our house when we moved in 8 years ago. Cost a pretty penny I might add, because they said it was better on the electric bill. They neglected to say they require special handling when disposing of them. Anyways we are slowly switching back to regular bulbs because they are brighter. Our house's interior is painted in a "chocolate milk" color called Tawny Taupe, its actually a very relaxing and soothing color.
I have one LED lamp hooked up on my Bailey, but there is no way we can afford to put 45 LED bulbs in the house. After reading what the OP discovered I am glad we are not.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I will keep the LED in my sewing room. But I will start buying the clear regular bulbs for all my lights in the house. I use a filter for my computer, tablet, and phone. I don't need to harm my eyesight!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

This was all reported when LED first became a thing. Everyone ignored it til now.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I switched to lots of LED bulbs. I see much better with them. They were not cheap and I will continue to use them. I gave my large supply of regular bulbs to my daughter and granddaughter.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:26 AM

Remember when we were to rid our homes of mercury products, such as thermometers and blood pressure monitors? So then they filled our homes with light bulbs with even more mercury than we had before. So goes government action!