Lettuce crisper

Old 12-07-2016, 01:35 PM

I have one that I got that looks really similar but not sure where. The new rectangle ones with the green grid in the bottom really works well. you can get them everywhere, I think their from Rubbermaid, the lids are white and they are clear. Different sizes for different fruits/veggies
Old 12-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Check your local thrift stores. I have found several and given them to friends who have lost or damaged theirs. It does keep the lettuce better than any other I have found. I could probably mail you one. I think I have an extra one. PM me your address and I will check and see. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 PM

Been using those" green plastic" bags originally advertised on tv . They keep bananas and everything else really fresh for a long time, I use them for fruits or veggies. Won't go back to containers.

Kathleen
Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM

I have the Tupperware green lettuce keeper and when we moved to current address 13 years ago I found the center lettuce stand was missing and managed to find another one in a thrift shop. I haven't found that putting the paper towel in it helps.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 PM

I might be very different I use my old lettuce crisper for fat quarters. I put lettuce in a deeper and wider box with light moist paper towels. I am a little different.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 PM

I have had the same result regarding moving & losing my greenie. kellen46, when I had it that is what I would do also. After pulling the core out I would also 'fill' the lettuce head with water & then drain to rinse it.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
Here is a trick I learned eons ago....does anyone do this before putting lettuce away? take the lettuce stemside down and give it a good bang on the countertop. This will loosen the whole stem system, you can then pull out the stem and there will be a hole in the bottom of the lettuce. Now store it away in your preferred manner, losing the stem helps keep the lettuce fresh for a longer time.
I sold Tupperware for 10 years, last century. After we took out the center core, we filled the lettuce head with HOT water. Not so hot to hurt your hand, but very warm. Drain immediately. Lettuce freshens up this way and keeps longer. And it doesn't need to go into the crisper. That bowl IS the crisper.

That being said, I do not buy iceberg lettuce. It really doesn't have much nutritional value. I buy only romaine lettuce.
Romaine lettuce has much more nutrition and keeps much longer just in a plastic bag. Once I was on a trip for two weeks, and came back and ate my lettuce that had been in the refrigerator for all that time.

I use my lettuce crisper for other things, now.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:48 AM

Tupperware has a new rectangular veggie keeper that you can mix your vegetables and one won't absorb odor from the other--not cheap but works. I am still experimenting with mine.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 AM

I have the new, rectangular Rubbermaid one that folks above had mentioned - it is fabulous! Don't think I've had to throw out any lettuce since I've been using it. I'm a single person but I prefer to buy the big plastic boxes of mixed lettuces because I eat salad for lunch every day. It keeps very nice and crisp for quite a while! When I bought it, I was surprised a little bit, because I thought I would wash the lettuce and then put it into the container, but that's not how it works ... you put the unwashed produce (it works for everything, not just lettuce) into the box and then wash it as you use it.

I also couldn't live without my salad spinner!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:34 AM

I don't buy head lettuce either so I keep my leaf lettuce in the old tupperware bread keeper. It is long and fits on the fridge shelf just fine.