Lizard IN OUR BED!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:31 AM

Default Lizard IN OUR BED!!!

It may be time to leave "critter country" (Southeast Georgia). Last night when my husband pulled back the covers to go bed, there in full glory was a large lizard! Yes, UNDER THE COVERS!!!!!!! Still looking for lizard, husband sleeping in the recliner. Glad I didn't see this firsthand. Obviously, Jet cat is asleep on the job. :eek :
Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 AM

Large or small I would rather see a lizard then scorpions. A constant watch for. I put papers around the children's beds at night, you can hear them on the paper. We always checked our shoes in the closet before putting them on and threw back the bedding at night.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

​I love the great outdoors but I do wish it would stay there!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Thankfully your DH folded down the covers. We just crawl in. In my youth I had a nasty experience while staying in central America, of a gigantic cat jumped on my tummy in the middle of the night, waking me up to him slurping down a gigantic rat. The rats hiny, wiggling tail and hind feet hanging out of the cat's mouth, all surrounded by blood will stay in my mind forever.

So where is that lizard?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:00 AM

misspriss, we have occasional scorpions too. The first one I found was what I thought was thread in a decorator bowl, but it moved! My dh stepped on one barefoot in the tiled hallway. He said it stung more than a bee but the pain quickly left. Thankfully, I had just read that week that scorpions found in the U.S. are not poisonous.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

That would really shake my day!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Oh did this one bring back memories...
Military husband was transferred to Florida, along with our family. Moved in December, and waited for our house to be built. I loved the lizards, as they ate the BUGS! In June of 1987, my mother came down for a visit. We had acclimated by then, and had not turned on our Air full time for the summer. She decided it was stuffy in the bedroom, and went to open the window. There was a Small gecko (maybe 4") on the screen which immediately changed her mind, because she "did not want that thing in the room climbing all over her!". I wondered if she would have preferred one of the flying Palmetto bugs landing on her nose? And, I am sure she would have had a "bit of a fit" if she had found the scorpions, or the snakes that we found on the patio.
Thanks for the memory as mom has been gone 7 years now.
Happy quilting!
Susan
Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight View Post
Oh did this one bring back memories...
Military husband was transferred to Florida, along with our family. Moved in December, and waited for our house to be built. I loved the lizards, as they ate the BUGS! In June of 1987, my mother came down for a visit. We had acclimated by then, and had not turned on our Air full time for the summer. She decided it was stuffy in the bedroom, and went to open the window. There was a Small gecko (maybe 4") on the screen which immediately changed her mind, because she "did not want that thing in the room climbing all over her!". I wondered if she would have preferred one of the flying Palmetto bugs landing on her nose? And, I am sure she would have had a "bit of a fit" if she had found the scorpions, or the snakes that we found on the patio.
Thanks for the memory as mom has been gone 7 years now.
Happy quilting!
Susan
Wow! All of this is bringing back so many memories...40 years ago, very young bride traveling with hubby for his job. First stop southern Georgia. Those *#€* palmetto bugs were EVERYWHERE! I could here them crawling the walls and one night I woke up to one crawling up my arm...it was about 5" long....or maybe 12"! Lol! I screamed and stayed up all night. I cried every night for two weeks just wanting to go back home to my safe NE where we only worried about tornadoes, hahaha! Then the next assignment....Southern TX. First night in the state sitting in hotel room and I looked down to see a scorpion between my bare feet! Boy did I panic...I jumped on the bed and for some reason I guess I thought they were invincible so was so surprised and relieved when my DH calmly crushed it with his work boot. Lol, guess I led a pretty sheltered life. This past year I had been listening to a coworker talk about her plans to retire to Costa Rica and how wonderful it is there. I talked with DH and said we should seriously consider....dreamed about it for several months until someone who had lived there said to me "that's great if you don't mind the bugs as big as your fist." That cured me right then and there! Can you tell I am bugophobic! Lol.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 AM

When I lived with my dad in Biloxi, MIssissippi when I started college, we had a cat that we adopted from vet. We had been out of town and the guy staying at the house to take care of the dog and cat, said that he kept finding lizards and birds in the house. He thought that there must be a hole in the house somewhere. Turns out the cat was climbing the inside of the chimney to get in and out of the house. NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!!!! So we just added a dog door to the laundry room door in the garage.
I usually woke up with SOMETHING in my bed. Sometimes a lizard (mostly dead - sometimes alive), a bird (always dead), or some kind of toy or item of clothing that struck her fancy. Have you seen the video of the cat that was going out at night and bringing home various pieces of clothing from neighbors' houses? I think she was an early version of that.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM

And to think I worry about house spiders!