Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for some change up projects >

Looking for some change up projects

Looking for some change up projects

Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I am taking a break and doing some wool applique. It's an easy take along project or doing while watching tv.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 AM

I have a friend who makes crocheted rugs from selvages and I've seen others make similar mats for homeless folks out of plastic bags that are crocheted together. I've not been wanting to quilt lately either (too many ufos I'm frozen with indecision which to do first), so I've gotten back into decorating and I want to move everything around in my living/dining room just to change things up. And if the weather here ever gets below 80 degrees I plan to strip and refinish a really cool art deco cabinet I found on the side of the street. Can't wait to see the original wood instead of the whitewash that's currently on it! One thing closer to quilting but not, is paper piecing hexies. They've been fun and I don't need to be in my sewing area to work with fabric.

Last edited by clevermom3kids; 09-19-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I'm making my gifts for my rec center quilting friends. I'm making quilted pod bags. I'm sure if you google them or go to yootube, you'll see lots of tutes. The zipper is easy to put i, so don't run from it. it takes about 6 x12" of fabric, some batt, interfacing and lining. THey are fun and make great gifts for just about anyone. I also do the POM type of bag, it takes a2 9 x 14 pieces of fabric and the same lining, stabilizer and batt. Quick and easy, and again, any zipper yo have can make it fun and funky. good luck.
Ok lynnie....you had me going on the "POM bag". I looked it up on the internet and was taken to Pom-Pom bags and pomeranians. Then the blinds were lifted, the lights came on and I realized POM is project of the month...well at least I think it is. Do you select a bag yourself or do you belong to a group?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:28 AM

Housework and closet purging .....hmmmm....that would be at the bottom of my list. :0)

As a matter of fact, I just rearranged a bit of my sewing room. It's amazing what I have stored in there.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM

Golgergal: Thanks for the ideas. I googled Box it Up and found this site http://www.brit.co/printable-gift-boxes/ They're not cloth, but fun. Some of the links are no longer viable, but with persistence the patterns could be found somewhere on the Net.

I did fine the pattern by Stitchin Sisters. I do like them. I do have some fabric covered paper trays. Now I can make my own.

Sometime ago I ran across a coin purse pattern with measuring tape snap closure. I was thinking about putting googlie eyes on it for children's puppet toys.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by clevermom3kids View Post
I have a friend who makes crocheted rugs from selvages and I've seen others make similar mats for homeless folks out of plastic bags that are crocheted together. I've not been wanting to quilt lately either (too many ufos I'm frozen with indecision which to do first), so I've gotten back into decorating and I want to move everything around in my living/dining room just to change things up. And if the weather here ever gets below 80 degrees I plan to strip and refinish a really cool art deco cabinet I found on the side of the street. Can't wait to see the original wood instead of the whitewash that's currently on it! One thing closer to quilting but not, is paper piecing hexies. They've been fun and I don't need to be in my sewing area to work with fabric.
Hmm....You reminded of a project I've wanted to do for some time. Decoupage a chair using fabric scraps. I can take time out to go to garage sales to find that special chair. That would be a good change of pace. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Cleaning and purging
Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 AM

I make pillow cases for foster kids and beads of courage.org bags for sick kids
Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 AM

I knit or make little hexagons.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM

To all who have replied: Thank you so much for the great ideas. I'm going to journal them for future "quilter's block"....so many excellent options...