Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Machine embroidery question about stabilizers. >

Machine embroidery question about stabilizers.

Machine embroidery question about stabilizers.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I'm guessing you'd have to stiffen the fabric, do the embroidery then cut out the shirt front.
Being new to embroidery I don't understand cutting out the pattern or shirt part. I hooped the part of the shirt I wanted to embroider on. DD wanted a design on a shirt pocket. I said fine but you won't be able to open the pocket. I'm not going to that much trouble to put a flower on a shirt. I stiffened the shirt pocket part, put in hoop, used variegated thread and done in 2 min. My machine is not a fancy one. It is a Brother 8500 D.

I'm surprised many don't know about the spray. I've seen guild members use it for their embroidery for some years now. Some members use it for the Scan and Cut machines to make the fabric stiff for cutting. One member said her DD uses it to shape elaborate hair do for wigs for her theater group.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-18-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 AM

We are all taught differently. I moved 500 miles from my original dealer (where I bought my first embroidery machine) and the new dealer had a different way of doing things. So my motto has become to do what works. It is a like anything else in life--a million ways to do things but they all either work for you or they don't. Another reason to ALWAYS do a test run and see how it sews out.

Last edited by Grammahunt; 04-18-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I wasn't finished yet.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Being new to embroidery I don't understand cutting out the pattern or shirt part. I hooped the part of the shirt I wanted to embroider on. DD wanted a design on a shirt pocket. I said fine but you won't be able to open the pocket. I'm not going to that much trouble to put a flower on a shirt. I stiffened the shirt pocket part, put in hoop, used variegated thread and done in 2 min. My machine is not a fancy one. It is a Brother 8500 D.

I'm surprised many don't know about the spray. I've seen guild members use it for their embroidery for some years now. Some members use it for the Scan and Cut machines to make the fabric stiff for cutting. One member said her DD uses it to shape elaborate hair do for wigs for her theater group.
I'm making spaghetti strap summer tops....so the design will be towards the top front/neckline of the shirt. Not enough fabric there to hoop. I'll just stiffen a piece of fabric, do the embroidery & then cut out the front of the shirt.

I saw this product used to make fabric bowls, but had no idea it was also being used on shirts for embroidery.

A lot of us don't belong to Guilds. I don't. My dealer is 50 miles away & they do mostly quilting & crafts. I do more garment sewing than quilting, so I don't go to any classes, etc.

I bought some Terial Magic today. As soon as I get time I'm going to give this a try & see how it works.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Banned

Something that should be remembered though is that light weight fabrics like t shirt knits and flour sack towels are not heavy enough to support machine embroidery on their own. They need to have some sort of permanent stabilization.

Cari
Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 PM

That is very true. If the pattern is too dense for the fabric - it will curl. A friend of mine was putting logo's on shirts for her DH's business, she had to use a double layer of a heavy cutaway to keep the embroidery neat. It was on a basic cotton men's shirt, not T-shirt fabric.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM

There are many stabilizers--some are wash-away and some tear-a-way along with those you leave in. It depends on what the item is to be stitched on and how many stitches per design. There are sticky stabilizers where a person can embroider the item by placing it on the stabilizer and not hooping it. For myself, I would not use fabric spray stabilizer.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I posted pictures of my embroidery here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...y-t287624.html
Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 AM

I used to get what I was told for these classes. Then as I got more into it and learned more I took what worked for me. Just like there are no quilting police, the embroidery one doesn't exist either.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:14 AM

Floriani, makes a mesh stabilizer for Tshirts and other things that are up close to skin, it works great.