magazine scam

Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Just checked the mail after getting home from work, found a "renewal/ new order" bill for magazine "Love of Quilting". I assume that is Fons and Porters mag. Anyway, I have never subscribed to this magazine, or even sent in a card for a free issue that I sometimes get. The installment payment is $35.94, half now and the other half next month, or a total of $71.88 for 2 years. I only subscribe to 1 quilting magazine now, so I knew this was wrong. But if I subscribed to lots of magazines, I probably would've written a check and sent it off. I am so irritated by this scam. I wonder how many people have been caught by this. Whether one receives the magazine eventually or not doesn't matter. If I want the magazine I will take the necessary steps to subscribe. This method seems so dishonest. Has anyone else had this happen? My DH kept getting notices about a computer magazine he had never subscribed to. Grrr! :hunf:
Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

I was online the other day and got a pop up about this magazine, yesterday in the mail I got a statement also, not sure what is going on

Originally Posted by julie
Just checked the mail after getting home from work, found a "renewal/ new order" bill for magazine "Love of Quilting". I assume that is Fons and Porters mag. Anyway, I have never subscribed to this magazine, or even sent in a card for a free issue that I sometimes get. The installment payment is $35.94, half now and the other half next month, or a total of $71.88 for 2 years. I only subscribe to 1 quilting magazine now, so I knew this was wrong. But if I subscribed to lots of magazines, I probably would've written a check and sent it off. I am so irritated by this scam. I wonder how many people have been caught by this. Whether one receives the magazine eventually or not doesn't matter. If I want the magazine I will take the necessary steps to subscribe. This method seems so dishonest. Has anyone else had this happen? My DH kept getting notices about a computer magazine he had never subscribed to. Grrr! :hunf:
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM

I have gotten that same note in the mail for the same magazine. I only get one quilting magazine and when I checked mine, my renewal wasn't for another 9 months. I agree. It's misleading and dishonest to imply I needed a renewal when I never ordered it in the first place.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Google Goddess

I am calling them on phone # now at 1-888-586-7753 not sure how they got my information.

recorder came on and having a high volume of calls and wants to call me back, wrong,

wonder what this is all about
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM

There are a few groups that get info about people, and then send what looks like a bill for a magazine. If you read closely, it will say somewhere that it is not a bill, but a solicitation for a subscription.

We have gotten info from a magazine we subscribe to about the scam, and were asked to report any such activity to the magazine itself - so their people could take care of the problem. I presume their lawyers got into the act, and closed down the scam operation. We haven't heard any more about it.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Lots of magazines do this. My DH gets motorcycle and gun magazines, and we are forever getting "renewal" bills for ones he doesn't take. I just trash them.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Google Goddess

This is so scary! Be careful as on the back of the bill says they offer over 600 magazines
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I used to get the Love of Quilting magazine. Ididn't renew my subscription, and was called on the phone and ask why :shock: First time that has ever happened to me.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I tend to trash all that comes in the mail, if I want something, I will go to their website and order it...
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM

The installment payment is $35.94, half now and the other half next month, or a total of $71.88 for 2 years.
At that price I wouldn't renew even if it was legitimate. I'd just pick them up at the store. There are a lot of scams out there and sometimes it's hard to locate the fine print.