Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpies: not wanted!

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries

Magpies: not wanted!

We have four young magpies born to our farm who are become pests with a capital P! How do you scare them off safely? We have wonderful yellow finch, purple finch, doves, quail, etc. that we enjoy and feed. We don't want them to go away but if we don't scare off these magpies we won't have any of our deck lined wave petunias blooming and they are beginning to eat off our cherries. Help?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

No advice, but agreeing with you - they're a PITA!!! Where we camp every year, we have to be very watchful when putting food on the picnic table. They've been known to fly down and snatch food WHILE we're eating!!!!!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Do you have a air rifle?

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Not sure. I will have to ask DH if he has an air rifle. DH just hung up old CDs and it's windy here, so maybe that will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    Do you have a air rifle?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

What are magpies?

I never thought of old CDs!!! I hang the little tart trays in my peach trees to keep the birds out of them! The CDs are about the same size and a LOT sturdier!!

Magpies are like ravens only black and white. I doubt they'd be afraid of the CD's unless you sat in the yard and threw them at them.

Do you think one of the fake owls would scare them? They have them at Lowe's..

Blog Entries
    What about those strips of aluminum looking stuff that blows in the wind? Just an idea...no clue where to buy it. What about calling Audubon in your area? We had two dead owls and we called to find out what to do and what would have caused it. They were very helpful. Good luck. Also, the local gardening/tractor supply places are sometimes helpful.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

One for Sorrow
    Two for Joy
    Three for a Girl
    Four for a Boy

We don't have Magpie's here in Illinois, but I spotted ONE when in England and my husband yelled "look away", then he told me the rhyme. Every subsequent viewing of the species for me has been a solitary critter ... which apparently is rare as they usually travel in pairs.

Anyway ... husband said if they are eating your fruits you can spray the fruit with Capsicum and they'll stop. As for getting them to leave the area in general ... good luck. They fear very little apparently.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast