Making Luggage Standout

Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 AM

What an exciting adventure! I would definitely take a sleeping pill. In my opinion you will get a more restful sleep. Also, if you have an inflatable/travel pillow bring that as well. I also travel with my own throw to use instead of the airline's blanket. Those things will help you have a better sleep.

As for things to do, do you do any kind of handwork? I knit so I would bring knitting. Nothing too challenging or large. I would probably bring an applique project if I couldn't knit. I also like to use flight time to make my lists.

I would go with the brightly colored locks. I have a red suitcase and it is a not that common type so I used to not have too much trouble. However, recently, I've seen tons of red suitcases in a similar style so I've made some decorative tassels to put on my handle. I have also seen patterns for handmade luggage tags. I was thinking about making some single block tags and that would be fun too.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 AM

I take a 2.5 inch strip of bright fabric, and tie a piece on the handle of my luggage. You can spot it it an instant on the luggage turntable. Good luck and have a fun trip.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM

I stenciled/painted a large sunflower (what else could I do?) on each side of my bag; it could easily be seen on the luggage carousel and was pretty too. I received several complementary comments. But large colorful duct tape Xs would do the trick and can be removed when no longer needed.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM

Thank you! I will keep those ideas in mind!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM

I stenciled an angel on the front of my bag so I could spot it when it arrived at the baggage claim.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by bsquilter View Post
I stenciled a bright design on our black luggage. It really helped. it was quick, easy and origional.
That's what I did. I put the design on all sides including top and bottom so I can see it coming on the carousel no matter how it's facing. Just something small like a leaf or a flower but in a bright color.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 06-19-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 AM

As for taking needlework to work on while in flight, can you take scissors now??
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 AM

About three years ago I bought red luggage thinking it would be easy to spot on the carousel. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea. I have pulled the wrong luggage off the carousel more than I like to admit. I finally took some yellow ribbon and tied it around the handle of the bag. It's a short ribbon so it won't get stuck in any of the mechanisms at the airport. I'm always able to spot it, so much easier!!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 AM

Use acrylic paint and paint kites soaring into the air...Maybe three with long ribbon tails, in vibrant colors. I can see my lugguge coming down the belt and it is so easy to get mine amoung all the black luggage on the belt. I painted both sides of my black luggage ( as you don't know what side will be up when put on the belt) and even put my name on the bottom right hand corner. You can get locks that are airport approved to lock your luggage and if they want to open them, they can as they have a key. I got mine at AAA, but the airport shops have them too. That is what I use. hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Get some brightly colored hairbands and put them on the handles of the luggage to differentiate your luggage from everyone elses. Bands of fabric would work, too.

Enjoy your trip!