Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mary Ellen's Best Press problem >

Mary Ellen's Best Press problem

Mary Ellen's Best Press problem

Old 02-20-2016, 06:56 AM

I like it but would love the vodka recipe. I can't find it anymore! I also like Magic Sizing from the grocery store!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:29 AM

Yes, I've had starch remove the finish on a nightstand and it wasn't Best Press. I didn't realize that it had leaked down the side and it took the finish off. This can happen with any liquid that stands for a day or two.I now use a coaster under any liquid I use. I use Best Press and love it. I buy by the gallon jug at Walmart. I love the smell of the lavender and it makes my fabric stiff enough to do what I need I don't have any sticking or white residue .Supposedly it won't attract bugs and that important to me. Sometimes after I wash a quilt I will iron and starch it to give it a fresh look. I haven't had any bug problems but can't guarantee it's because of the best press. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, allergies and so on so you have to judge for yourself. One Best Press advocate. Good luck with whatever you decide to use but remember to protect your furniture.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 AM

I use BP all the time, Lavender is my favorite. I buy it at Joanns when I have a 40% off discount and buy the gallon jug. It can also be diluted. I'm not surprised but sorry for you that it took finish off. I would have expected that. and yes the overspray is gummy. again, not surprised. This is not water you are using. I feel like it starches my fabric with a wonderful feel. I understand some people have a sensitivity to the smell. I love it!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 AM

If there is a product that can damage wood furniture, I've probably done it. Even water can ruin cherry wood's finish. I would worry much more if BP or any fabric spray damaged Formica or tile or a non-wood counter top.

And yes, I love BP with the lightest scent only. But I did have a hand-dyed red fabric bleed across the seam line of a scrappy quilt when I failed to press it soon after spraying.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 AM

Best Press is sizing - not starch. I use Magic Sizing in the green can and it works great. I don't use starch because I live in south Florida and starch is a food source for critters. And we have enough problems keeping critters out without ringing the dinner bell!! LOL!! Sizing is not a food source so I don't worry about using it and leaving it in the fabric. But the only place I can find it is Winn-Dixie. Everyone else only has the blue can and not as good. You can get your fabric really stiff with repeated sprayings and ironing in between. My 2 cents worth.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

I love it! Never any problems. I use the unscented tho due to alergies.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

That is wild...That is why I only use the starch I make...
Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 AM

kbeuchert, I also use the Mary Ellen's Best Press and I only buy the lavender. I love the smell! I am happy to see that JoAnn's stocks it too! I use my coupons on that and love it when they have notions 60% off.......it is considered a notion too! Yipee! ! ! ! !
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM

I have bought one bottle of Best Press but expect it will be my last. I really don't want something like that on my fabrics. I bought it to try and get that center fold out of some fabrics but it has really not been the answer. Plus it is far too expensive.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Many years ago I had the same thing happen to the finish on an end table when a bottle of scented oil was placed there and some of the oil obviously ran down the bottle. There's still a ditched ring in the finish all the way to the wood. I just keep something over the ring. My guess is it's the scented essential oil in he Best Press that did the damage.