medicine

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM

You need a lawyer who accepts payment when the check for back SSI comes. My ex-husband got his on the first try because we started with a lawyer. It's much more than regular SS would have been if he had been able to work until retirement age.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM

I am glad your hubby is getting your meds!! Guilt has no place where your health is concerned! You deserve as much as anyone else.
Working outside the home and bringing in a paycheck should not be what defines your worthiness!!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
You need a lawyer who accepts payment when the check for back SSI comes. My ex-husband got his on the first try because we started with a lawyer. It's much more than regular SS would have been if he had been able to work until retirement age.
Actually, it's against the law for ANY attorney to ask for payment from the client...even if they lose. SS has strict rules on the amount an atty can charge, too. Go to the SS website and you'll find info. Look in the phone book and you'll see some of the atty's say they handle SS issues.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Like those said above. SSA is expected to deny your application the first time. SOme who don't really need it won't go thru the steps to get it. It takes time, but the money comes back from the day you applied and teh benefits are well worth waiting for. Having to get an attorney is almost a must and they get half, makes you wonder how things work in our society. Paying one to get help frmo another. Prayers your wait is not too long.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Like those said above. SSA is expected to deny your application the first time. SOme who don't really need it won't go thru the steps to get it. It takes time, but the money comes back from the day you applied and teh benefits are well worth waiting for. Having to get an attorney is almost a must and they get half, makes you wonder how things work in our society. Paying one to get help frmo another. Prayers your wait is not too long.
It's been 10 yrs since I went thru it for my late DH, but the attorneys did NOT get half. They got a % up to a certain amount and the price capped.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I think that you should get an attorney that specializes in social security disabilities. I know they want a chunk of what you get, but wouldn't it be worth it to give the percentage to them? Wouldn't it be better than no money at all? Just my opinoin...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM

It makes me very sad that you have been denied your SS disability. I know a person who gets disability from SS due to heart conditions. This person does quite strenuous labor on the side--construction work, digging holes in their back yard a several feet deep, etc, for cash. It bothers me to see this and know that others who can do a fraction of this, get nothing. I am of the belief that what goes around, comes around.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Here in Wa state I read that once you get to the attorney phase the approval is just around the corner. There are attorneys who work on contingency (sp) it would be worth looking into. Also get a list of their approved conditions and get whatever test needed for that list. I happened to have one test that proved my back issue.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM

the lawyer i had did not charge me until i won and then SS gave them a check out of what i was rewarded. go th your dr and ask how to get your meds for free there is a program that med manufactures will give you them for free you have to fill out forms and send it in to them i had it until i got my SS. Montel Williams is a big actvist with the program
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm with you, Donna. I can always spend money on things for my son but almost never for myself,

BUT

if you want to show your family that you love them, spend the money on the medicine. Take it like it's prescribed (no reducing or skipping dosage to make the prescription last longer.) Quit playing "I can tough it out" with your husband and go to the doctor. Delaying treatment or ignoring follow-up appointments only increases the progress of the disorder.

DO NOT give up on Social Security! Keep hammering away at that government monolith and keep applying for the benefits that YOU deserve and that YOU paid for while working. I have a girlfriend who was rejected 7 times in 6 years before she finally was approved. The "back pay" check was quite a tidy sum!

Hang in there, lady! That which does not kill us serves to make us stronger!!

Sue