Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mid life Crisis, Cabin Fever or Depression? >

Mid life Crisis, Cabin Fever or Depression?

Mid life Crisis, Cabin Fever or Depression?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Have you had any trouble with any of theses issues? How do you know which one is which? And what advise do you have?
Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Suzi, none of us (that I know of) are doctors. Sounds as if your "pain" is worth talking to a professional about. You could get hundreds of different answers and cures from this wonderful board, but unless "someone" can help you find out why you feel this way and help you to work through it, nothing else is going to really help.

Been there many happy years ago!

((((HUGS))))
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM

If it lasts longer than a couple of weeks and you lose interest in everything, find yourself wanting to stay in bed rather than go out, and feel generally hopeless it's depression. I've been there. Don't wait to get help.

Cabin fever I would say is somewhat seasonal and happens when weather or other circumstances prevent you from getting out and doing the things you enjoy. Goes away when you're able to resume your regular activities.

Mid life crisis - not sure how I'd define that one.

The important thing is if you feel like you need help talk to someone. Don't feel like you have to "get over it" all by yourself.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Light. Lots and lots of sunlight.

That's what causes Cabin Fever, nowadays known as SAD (Seasonally Affective Disorder) caused by low light, dark houses
and artificial light that is not strong enough or doesn't have the correct colors.

I'd suggest walking outdoors withOUT your glasses, since even window glass can block out the correct sun light. Get some bulbs that claim to have full spectrum light. And look into color therapy. It is even used in hospitals for when a baby is born with jaundice, a liver disease. They stick the naked baby under black or blue lights and cures the jaundice. Think stained glass, and how good you feel in churches that have marvelous colored windows.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM

I agree with the others, if sunlight and exercise doesn't do it in a couple of weeks, talk to your doctor. Write down everything so you can remember everything.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM

One way you can tell if it's the winter blues is get a Vitamin D3 supplement. Take 2000mg daily (the bottle will say 1000mg, but that is the threshold for feeling the effect, not the least effective dose, kwim?)

Give it 2-3 days...see if you notice a change in your mood. I'll bet you do. :D

Of course there are SOOOOO many other factors like diet and exercise, "life stress" and major changes. Don't sit on this for too long. If you've had a long cold winter w/o sunlight though...D3 may be where it's at!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Kas

If a diamond ring cures it, it's a mid-life crisis! :) I would try light therapy, too.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Ohhh, this time of year can be tough. But I agree with what the others said.
If you feel like you have no interests, appetite, blahs, don't want to do anything or get out of bed it could be depression.
I would talk to someone about it.
Here's a HUG from me. They never hurt :)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM

The best way to know for sure is to go to the doctor. It could be none of those things and be something like hormones or thyroid. The doctor can go over all the symptoms with you and do test, etc. Good luck and I hope you feel better very soon. ((((HUGS))))
Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
If a diamond ring cures it, it's a mid-life crisis! :) I would try light therapy, too.
I was thinking convertible, 2 seater red car. That would cure my mid-life crisis. Until then, I'll just buy fabric--LOL.

Seriously, I agree with the previous posters about using full spectrum light bulbs to alleviate the winter blues because I have done that it my house. I have had days where I don't want to get out of bed but not weeks. Weeks is a problem that needs attention.