Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines >

This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines

This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines

Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Default This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines

I received this email from Brother this morning......Should clear up some urban legends........

So basically Innov and Dreamcreator have a few more bells and whistles. And all the others are made with the same parts and sold everywhere else.

I really hope this helps all our "family" here in deciding which machine and where to buy it.

Dear Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your question. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

Brother has two lines of machines. We have a Dealer line, which are our high end machines and are only available thru our Brother Dealers. These machines have more features and capabilities. Then we have our mass market line, which goes out to all of our other resell partners such as Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. However, if for instance a PE-770 were available thru a Brother Dealer and online, the machine would be the same regardless of where it was sold and not made differently.

Hope this information is helpful. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Brother International Corporation
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Geez! I hate it when I spell something wrong!!!

Note to self............Do not try and spell anything before coffee!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

That's great info. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Good info, Chasing Hawk.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

that is very interesting. And comforting since there has been so much talk about Walmart machines being made inferior on purpose to keep costs low. I love my three lower end Brothers. thanks for taking the time to find out and post.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 AM

This is good information! I have the Mickey Mouse brother from Walmart that I use in my RV. It has been a great little machine. I use it for mending and piecing. Too little for quilting.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 AM

Chasing Hawk, after reading your response from Brother I considered writing to them and congratulating them on the response you received. I am so darned tired of customer services ignoring my requests for assistance or suggesting I work out my own answer. Should I buy another sewing machine for myself or as a gift, I will seriously look at Brother. And I will make sure your kindness in passing along the info you received gets to my sewing friends.

Thank you very much.

Pat
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
This is good information! I have the Mickey Mouse brother from Walmart that I use in my RV. It has been a great little machine. I use it for mending and piecing. Too little for quilting.
I have the same machine, used it in our motor home for many years. I did the piecing on the road and then either did the quilting at home or sent them out to be quilted. I also used it to repair parachutes and uniforms at the racetrack. I just updated to a Innovis 1250D so I can have a larger embroidery hoop. Great little machine. Hopefully this information will help people choose machines, not on their sales location (Walmart/Target/Amazon), but for their dependability, workmanship, and price. I always say to buy the best you can afford. If the Brother sold at Walmart is the one in your price range, get it. Not everyone has the luxury of owning the top-of-the- line Quattro from a dealer.
I am glad Brother stepped up and cleared up this misconception concerning their entry level machines. (I refuse to call them low-end, as they are good machines, not crap as some would like others to believe ). There are good and bad in every line of machines. Pick any brand and you will fine people who adore them and others who have nothing but trouble and regret owning them. Thank you for posting this.

Last edited by Bneighbor; 01-15-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 AM

The thing you'd miss is the customer service and free classes. Of course there are a few stores out there that will let you have classes for a small fee even if you didn't buy them at their store. My Viking dealer lets everyone attend classes as long as you know how to use your machine since they only specialize in theirs and Pfaff but I know not all stores are like this. Some people don't need the customer service or the classes so it wouldn't be an issue.