Migraines

Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 AM

For years now I've suffered with migraines. The least little bit of stress and my nose starts burning and my head starts pounding. Sending me into a downward spiral. Some smells give me migraines. I even get nose bleeds is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem or am I losing my mind? They put me on some meds a couple of years ago and the side effect of the med is when you stop taking it you have a headache, go figure.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Google "feverfew for migraines". My brother & I both suffered with migraines for years. My doc put me on meds, which were very expensive, and did not help at all. We both took feverfew & it helped greatly to decrease the migraines. It doesn't work for everyone & like any med/herb carries some side effects.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for your help, after reading the side effects I think that its not for me. One of the side effects is bleeding, I get nosebleeds so this wouldnt me an option. However I do herbal remedies and rarely go to the doc. But I'm getting to the point that I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just go.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I take RELPAX, it very expensive about $360/6 pills. my nsurance doesn't cover it anmore, i smell weird things too b4 and during them. i jave a ruptred disc at the base of my skull (inoperatable), but life goes on. dark rooms help, but man, are they wicked. i got the shot but am afaid to try it, they say it HURTS!!!!!
good luck
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM

I used to end up in the ER several times a year due to the severe headaches & vomiting. I'm much better since I retired - from teaching, discovered Excedrin & drink a lot more water. There is something about the caffeine in Excedrin that works & I can keep the headache under control if I take it before the headache gets too bad.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 AM

I don't have migraines, but I do get really bad tension headaches. I have found that going to my chiropractor really helps. I know that not everyone believes in chiropractic, but it might be something you could try. My aunt gets migraines, and I can see how much pain she is in when she gets one. (she also sees a chiropractor, and it helps her a lot) I am so sorry to hear that you get them! I really hope that you can find something to at least ease your pain.
(((hugs!!)))
~Heather
Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Keeping a headache diary really helps. I figured out several of my triggers this way. Certain types of lighting, a couple foods (I will crave them right before the headache starts too!), sounds in a specific dB range, perfumes, etc. Needless to say, it was enlightening. I thought I got mine from stress but the diary showed that what I thought was "stress" was a combination of conditions that would form the perfect storm.

Be careful with home remedies. People don't realize what some of those substances really contain. Also, there are very few standards for the herbal route. You won't believe how many "cures" have very little effectiveness. There is almost no regulation for that industry so please be careful.

Some people swear by putting ice on their head or neck, I like heat. Dark rooms are really good, a light back/neck/scalp massage can help if you can stand having anyone touch you.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I used to end up in the ER several times a year due to the severe headaches & vomiting. I'm much better since I retired - from teaching, discovered Excedrin & drink a lot more water. There is something about the caffeine in Excedrin that works & I can keep the headache under control if I take it before the headache gets too bad.
I use generic Excedrin and lots of water too. Dehydration is one of my main triggers for migraine. So drink, drink and drink more.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM

I had them for a long time...years and years. I thought they were sinus or tension headaches. A doc prescribed Inderal for another problem, and the headaches went away. It's a blood pressure med, but my BP was normal. I had a familial tremor in my hands, and reached a point where I couldn't sew, eat, or write. The Inderal was for that. It's an old med and cheap in generic. Ask your Doctor about it.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:07 PM

I used to have vicious migraine headaches a couple of times a week. Once I went on thyroid medication, they completly disappeared. My doctor said that it should't have made a difference but it did.