Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Misty is now in her new home - Another ???? >

Misty is now in her new home - Another ????

Misty is now in her new home - Another ????

Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
When I brought SammiCat home, he spent three days in the extra bath before I let him out with Mia. Miss Mia was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf, so I didn't want to take any chances. They became the best of friends. I'm sure the cats will, too. A few days in isolation won't hurt the kitten. It'll give her time to get used to the smells and sounds of your household. Tonight make sure she has food, a litter box and a soft bed, then close the door.

With new incoming dogs, I feed the two an extremely yummy food side by side - with supervision, of course. For some reason, eating together cements the fact that the newcomer lives here.
Don't forget water! No worries, they WILL learn to get along eventually
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

With lots of love and a little benadryl, you can both have a good nights sleep. I use the liquid, and the Vet said 12.5mg per 10 lbs. Hope this is helpful
Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Perhaps you can borrow a small animal carrier. That way she can stay in it and have a safe view of her new home.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 AM

It sounds like things are going well! There may be the occasional 'tiff' but if they're not going at it now, it'll just be a while longer before they're able to be together. You're doing it right, slow intros do work best...Feliway also is a wonder. Rescue Remedy is good for anxiety - and has no alcohol in it. (it's an herbal remedy, this non-alcohol type specifically formulated for pets)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM

If she is up at night, she should sleep during the day. I know that's what mine do. I left this morning and just came home, when there was no one to greet me at the door - I knew just where they were. Sound asleep in my bed! I told them to get up and they picked up their heads looked at me and yawned. Lazy, lazy fur babies!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM

they'll adjust. For years my son's 200lb akita (bandit) lived w/us along w/two cats; no problem; the cats were there first. Last year I got a White American Eskimo pup; Bandit was so jealous that when ever the pup was out of her kennel he wouldn't even down stairs. He wasn't aggressive or anything just gave her the jealous eye and avoided her at all cost. It didn't take long that we noticed he'd play w/her as long as no one was looking. Well It's been a yr and a half and they are best pals; the 200lb Bandit even preens the 20lb eskimo. If she starts getting hyper and he senses she's about to get into trouble he'll start calming her down; if she's got to go out and not ones' paying attention he'll make you listen. Animals for the most part adjust as long as they both can see they are still loved.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

That is my favorite kind of cat. Beautiful. Good luck on the blending family. :)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM

I have had my younger kitty for 5 yrs. and the older cat still hates him and he loves to chase her. She always runs to where I am for protection. Then too she will take a swat at him if he passes close by. Sometimes they make up and are friendly and sometimes not. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:05 PM

It will only take one good argument between those two and the territory will be chosen. I would just let them out to get to know each other. the kitten you already have might just take your place and baby the new kitten. You have to let them get to know each other on their own terms. You protecting the new one is just going to make the older one more jealous as if you like the new kitten better. I have 7 and each time I have put a new one in the house, I just let them all be together and they calm down faster that way. I do not show any favoritism over one cat. good luck, they will be fine.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM

I'd let her explore under supervision... otherwise keep her in a separate room. She'll be fine by herself especially if she has a little food and water (maybe a box too). I think they're a little like babies, they'll cry for attention but if you don't give it to her, she'll go to sleep or find something to keep herself occupied.