Mitten help

Old 12-05-2016, 04:18 PM

Default Mitten help

Looking to make decorative mittens to attach to a Christmas tree skirt. I'm having trouble with the thumb puckering. Can anyone suggest a pattern or maybe a better way to sew the pattern I'm currently using? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure how you are making them but if you are sewing 2 pieces of fabric together and turning right side out, all curves need to be clipped to turn well. I use my pinking shears on curves that need to be turned.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 PM

Hi Tartan. Yes, I've been using my picking shears. I've also been sewing some batting with fabric right sides together. Maybe it's just too much bulk? But I hate the thought of "stuffing" the mittens with batting. I should at least give it a try. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Pinking shears are not going to work on a curve that tight. Shorten your stitch length. You need to clip the seam allowance perpendicular to the stitching. The clip needs to go right up to the seam, but don't clip the thread. clip about every 1/8 to 1/4 inch on the inner curve. Use small sharp scissors and a good light!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:25 PM

One suggestion
Have you considered using a lightweight fusible stabilizer. Fabric right side facing stabilizer wrong side. Sew all around, clip curves
Slit /cut center of stabilizer to be able to turn fabric right side out and the fusible side of stabilizer out (finger press and it is now ready to iron in place and stitch in place by hand or with the machine

The stabilizer gives the mitten a little more body
Old 12-06-2016, 07:17 AM

Good advice, Fab quilter. I would not pink the seams but clip them. There is a big difference in the finished product. You need to make many clips, right to the last thread to make the piece lie down flat. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Try making the mitten outline smoother. Shorten the thumb and instead of doing the tight V at the thumb base, make it a gentle curve. Also trim away the batt seam allowance almost to the stitching line.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Try making the mitten outline smoother. Shorten the thumb and instead of doing the tight V at the thumb base, make it a gentle curve. Also trim away the batt seam allowance almost to the stitching line.
Thank you all for your suggestions. Can't wait to get back to the sewing room and start working on them again. 😃
Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM

I seen patterns where each side of the mitten is in 2 pieces. Most of hand, fingers and cuff is one piece and thumb is another. Go straight down the index finger side of your hand in a straight line Then the thumb is attached in a straight line.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Think I'm finally happy with the mitten. Now on to getting names on the cuffs. I have a machine that does lettering but they aren't very large. Is anyone familiar with any iron on products? I want to put our family members names on each mitten cuff, attach it to a Christmas tree skirt. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. ��