Moving what to do...??

Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Ok I think it is going to happen..The people signed the contract on our house and they want to close Friday or Monday...Since they are paying cash(Must be Nice) we will be able to do it quickly...that gives us a couple of weeks to find a house to rent..I am sure it is going to be alot smaller then our house we are selling but that is ok..so blessed we are selling our house in this market...I am wondering what I need to do with my quilting stuff?? We will have movers to move us but I want to make sure I can get to my sewing machine and quilting stuff...guess I am going to go ahead and pack it in plastic containers and put it all together in one room or maybe in my car don't want to lose it!!...oh I knew this day was coming?? Say a prayer for me!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Congrats on the sale. It's not an easy thing to pull off in this economy. I hope rentals are readily available for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I hope that your move goes smoothly and that you are packed, moved, unpacked and sewing again very soon!!! :D:D:D
I think it is a good idea to move some things your self and breakable/unreplaceables :wink: They always went in the car with me :D:D:D
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM

You will be great! Just think positive about this move. I would put my sewing machine in the car with some of the quilting supplies I would want immediately. Than they are at hand!!

Good Luck. I believe things happen for a reason, we don't always know the reason right away!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Congrats on the house sale and yes......cash sale? Must be REALLY nice!!
Put what you want/need in your car. That way, you are assured that it doesn't get "lost" in amongst all the other boxes you will have.
I don't have the luxury of doing something like that. Everything I own will go into boxes, then into crates and then on a ship cross the giant pond and then onto a truck to my new place, where ever that may be. But, I digress.....
Make sure you mark ALL your boxes of fabric/sewing items. I pack my sewing room up myself. I have to leave the boxes untaped, then the packers will tape them up and mark that they were the ones that packed it. (All has to do with insurance purposes and such.)

Good luck in your move!!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Last time I moved,I printed up sheets of labels - from the dollar store - with the room name in large letters, all color coded. That way, if I was looking for a kitchen item, I could easily bypass things destined for other rooms. You can buy round color coded stickers that would accomplish the same thing, as long as you remember which color goes to which room.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM

When we moved last summer I was OK with anyone moving my fabrics, since it can not break. If everything is done correctly they should be fine. My machine is another story. It was the last thing to leave the house, directly to my car, and it was the first thing into my new apartment. I placed it in a cornet of my closet and only took it out when the sewing table was set up. I don't think is a good idea to leave it in the car. You never know what can happen when no one is watching.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM

I still have the original box and packing that my machine came in. One of the things I do when we buy expensive equipment. Yes,,,I even have the original box that our tv came in! Of course, there are boxes now inside of it for the vcr, dvd player and whatnot and it's a pain in the arse to find a place to store it, but that's just one of the things I put up with being military.
Oh how I wish I had my own forever house!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM

It's coming Terri! Hang in there!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad your sale is going good. I would move my machine myself. That way I know it gets there in one piece.