Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker

Thank you so much for the tip - I put Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker on my Kindle and look forward to reading it. I am a big fan of Lincoln and he's my favorite president. The movie "Lincoln" was fabulous and I highly recommend all to see it.

Thanks for the free info and the book review. I have a Nook and got gift cards for my birthday and had this book earmarked to purchase.

Thanks!! I need to get back to reading.

After reading this post I got Elizabeth Kleckley's book and have read about a third of it so far. I'm amazed at how well she expressed herself, in spite of having grown up a slave - she wrote better than many modern people who have been required to go to school, and I'm sure it was not easy for her to get an education. She was sensitive and perceptive, and very respectful not to violate Mrs. Lincoln's privacy but wishing to set straight the many detractors of that time. Her experiences tie in nicely with the recent movie about Lincoln - indeed is obviously one of the resources used by modern writers on the subject of the Lincoln family. I may eventually get around to reading Jennifer Chiaverini’s novel, but love having access to this original source.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley

Blog Entries
    Thanks a bunch, I just downloaded it to my laptop and my Kindle. For all U avid readers get the book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lack by Rebecca Skloot, it was a best seller a couple years ago and will blow your MIND!

I got mine from the library. It was ok but completely different from her other books. To me it was more of a history book

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3