MSN messenger etc?

Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM

I am trying to find a way to send messages (text) from my pc to my DDs and DSs iphones, and also receive their texts back to my pc. For free. I don't have (or want) "text" capabilities on my cheapy cellphone.
Anyway I am never near my cell phone (rarely use it) but I am beside my pc all day.
My DDs and DSs are just the opposite, they keep their iphones in their hand constantly. They text each other all day long and I'm out of the loop. So I find out about get togethers etc later than everyone else.

Then it occurred to me that maybe I could "text" them through MSN messenger for free, but I can't find any info on the MSN messenger site that actually says it can be done.
If MSN messenger can't do it (pc to phone and back) is there something similar that can?
Thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

You can do it through Yahoo messenger, as long as their cell phone carriers are on the list.
You all have to be signed up for Yahoo messenger too. You just have to download it to your computers, and then you just log into it and click on their names to send/receive texts.

It is call SMS, but it is actually sending out texts, I do this all the time with my kids. I do not like to text on my phone LOL :D:D:D
Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

i tried Yahoo messenger long ago and it made my computer run very slow. removed it.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:45 PM

I use AIM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM

If they can get email on their phone, you can send them an email; also no charge
Old 07-10-2011, 03:52 PM

If you have a G-mail account, you can do an instant message chat and send photos. You will need an invitation from a registered G-mail user. I will be glad to provide that for you. PM please.

June in Cincinnati
Old 07-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by june6995
If you have a G-mail account, you can do an instant message chat and send photos. You will need an invitation from a registered G-mail user. I will be glad to provide that for you. PM please.
June in Cincinnati
Really? G-mail? I never even thought of them. I have a g-mail account and so does one of my DDs so I'll get the invite from her.
But thank you so much for the offer! So sweet of you.

And thanks to all who posted. If for some reason G-mail doesn't work for us, I'll try the Yahoo. I have a Yahoo email acct too.
thanks again.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM

You can also do twitter from your computer. That's how my son's high school band director kept us updated.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM

I keep in touch with my daughter in Seattle. When she moved there to work for Microsoft she asked me to get a computer...then to get the G-mail account. The neat thing is that those conversations are automatically saved. And you never run out of space. If your computer crashes and you lose all your mail, you can go to G-mail and every piece of mail is saved in their system. I have not lost a thing that I have sent through G-mail.

June in Cincinnati
Old 07-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Try SKYPE as well.