My Guide Dog Meadow

Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
She is beautiful. I have an English that looks just like her, an 8 month old male we have named Oliver we are raising for Leader Dog for the Blind out of Rochester, Michigan. He is the fourth we have raised and once again, he is one of the loves of my life. Many people say they couldn't do what we do because they could not give them up. And raising them for a year and then giving them back is one of the very hardest things to do, but seeing a guide dog working, giving someone confidence and independence makes it all worthwhile. It is very rewarding to see a new owner love our puppy just as much as we did. Best wishes to you and Miss Meadow, may you have a long, blessed relationship.
What a beautiful giving thing to do......Many blessing.......
Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 AM

We also have an English Lab - born March 29th of this year and her name is Molly. Our first Lab - and we just love her. Although she went thru a stage where I nicknamed her "Puddin' Brains". Are you raising Meadow to then become someone else's guide dog or will he be your own? I've often thought about volunteering to raise a guide dog.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 AM

So happy for you!! I know you will have many happy and fun years ahead.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM

We just received my husbands PTSD dog last thursday. He is not trained yet but will be training with my husband hopefully starting soon. I am so glad that you have such a handsome guy to help you.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Meadow is beautiful. Congratulations on adding this sweet baby to your family.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM

I am so happy for you to have such a wonderful guide and companion. She is beautiful and Labs are wonderful. I'm sure you will have greater feelings of freedom and safety now that you have her.
God bless the both of you as He meets all our needs...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

What a beautiful fur baby...Makes you want to hug on him..Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
Yeah! You finally got your "companioin"! Congrats! So my funny ? is...who's harder to train? You or the dog?
Actually me because I still have sight and I need to learn to trust him to take me where it is safe to travel. I am doing great though. My trainer says that I am leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else that she has trained.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
She is beautiful. I have an English that looks just like her, an 8 month old male we have named Oliver we are raising for Leader Dog for the Blind out of Rochester, Michigan. He is the fourth we have raised and once again, he is one of the loves of my life. Many people say they couldn't do what we do because they could not give them up. And raising them for a year and then giving them back is one of the very hardest things to do, but seeing a guide dog working, giving someone confidence and independence makes it all worthwhile. It is very rewarding to see a new owner love our puppy just as much as we did. Best wishes to you and Miss Meadow, may you have a long, blessed relationship.
Yes, He is a very handsome boy, I love him already and he is apart of the family. I want to say Thanks for raising the dogs for leader dogs it is a great thing that you do. I know how hard it must be for you to give them up. I am lucky the organization that I got him from is training him here right with me at home. The organization is called Occupaws, it is a small organization but the trainer is wonderful!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
We also have an English Lab - born March 29th of this year and her name is Molly. Our first Lab - and we just love her. Although she went thru a stage where I nicknamed her "Puddin' Brains". Are you raising Meadow to then become someone else's guide dog or will he be your own? I've often thought about volunteering to raise a guide dog.
He is mine. I have a genetic eye dissease which I am losing my side vision it is called RP