Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Motorcycle is sick: Any Ideas? >

My Motorcycle is sick: Any Ideas?

My Motorcycle is sick: Any Ideas?

Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 AM

Hello,
Just a stab in the dark, but I need help with my motorcycle. I went to take it out for the first time (lots of rain here this year is why it took so long) and it will not run properly.

It has good gas, the fuel is on, and the choke works fine. Problem is when i want to put on the gas, it dies. It will idol, but as soon as I try to put a little gas on, it loses power and wants to die.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am really bummed out because this is my big weekend to ride! :(

It is a little street bike, I bought a small one to make sure I want to invest in a bigger one. Oh yeah, i definitely want a bigger one. :) Anyway, it is a Yamaha 2002 Virago 250cc

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Banned

You might want to try the Harley forum. :lol: :lol:
Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 AM

You said it has good gas but is it new gas? If the bike has been sitting for awhile you might need to drain it and put in fresh gas. Does it have a fuel filter? That would be the second guess. Either that or perhaps you have a fuel line that's partially blocked.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
You said it has good gas but is it new gas? If the bike has been sitting for awhile you might need to drain it and put in fresh gas. Does it have a fuel filter? That would be the second guess. Either that or perhaps you have a fuel line that's partially blocked.
WHOA!!! Not only is she a quilter but a motorcycle mechanic!!! :wink: Hi RR :lol:
Old 07-03-2010, 04:59 AM

Yup, new gas. I was wondering about the fuel filter and maybe the fuel pump assembly. I can't figure out if/where the fuel filtr is.
Not much help on google. UGH! WIsh my hubby could work on bikes!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

You might also want to check the spark plug and the air filter too. There are so many things that can cause the problem that you are having. Most likely it is something minor especially sense the bike has been sitting.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
You might also want to check the spark plug and the air filter too. There are so many things that can cause the problem that you are having. Most likely it is something minor especially sense the bike has been sitting.
Yes! Good sugestions. Also I'd squirt a bit of (spray can) carb cleaner in the carburator. We've done this and it helped after the bike sat a while.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Another easy check is to check your battery. My Hubby's bike eats his battery if it sits for any length of time. My bike doesn't as much, but if a bike sits, it still seems to draw power from the battery and can drain it. It might be that your battery has enough power to start the bike, but as soon as you challenge it to run, it throws in the towel.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
WHOA!!! Not only is she a quilter but a motorcycle mechanic!!! :wink: Hi RR :lol:
Marsye you'd be surprised at all the hidden talents we have on this board :D
Old 07-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Another easy check is to check your battery. My Hubby's bike eats his battery if it sits for any length of time. My bike doesn't as much, but if a bike sits, it still seems to draw power from the battery and can drain it. It might be that your battery has enough power to start the bike, but as soon as you challenge it to run, it throws in the towel.
We have to buy new batteries for our bikes every year in the desert heat. Sitting is hard on batteries.