Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Nervous Nellie Tree with a guest >

My Nervous Nellie Tree with a guest

My Nervous Nellie Tree with a guest

Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM

We had one of those hornet nests in a maple tree that was almost 3 feet long. A few years ago they decided it was much better to build one right on our house outside our bedroom window. We used some hornet spray to rid the nest of them and then knocked it down but it left stains on the siding. :cry:
Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I'm with Knot Sew - I think it's better to get a wildlife expert to come and relocate the nest if possible and if you have a problem with it being there. We had a hornets nest in our chimney last summer and I was concerned for the children so I did some research. They are not as agressive or nasty as you might think. They WILL sting repeatedly but only if provoked and if they don't have the option to fly away. Sadly, we had to destroy the ones nesting in our chimney when winter came because the flue was blocked and we couldn't use the fire. Up until then it stayed. Occasionally, we had one in the room, but I just opened a window and gently shooed it outside. If the nest had been outside, I would have let it alone.

I feel we are too keen to destroy wildlife without any thought to the ecosystem - every creature has a place and a role to play. And it's important to educate children in this and not make them afraid or feel that they have to kill everything that moves. They have to learn respect yes, but not fear or hatred. Just my opinion. :D
Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Occasionally, we had one in the room, but I just opened a window and gently shooed it outside. If the nest had been outside, I would have let it alone. :D
Ummm, maybe you have a different variety in France, but the black and white beasts I have encountered will not hesitate stinging. And it hurts. A LOT!!!! I would never want to get close enough to them to shoo them anywhere!

When I raised chickens, it was not unusual to see one of them grab a horsefly out of the air as both were flying. I doubt if there is anything they are scared of.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Ours are black and yellow so perhaps they are different. They're the same ones as in the UK. And you're absolutely right about the chickens - they'll even eat snakes. They are brave birds! :D
Old 10-25-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
Yup. That's a Bald Hornets nest. They are nasty little insects. They attack with no provocation. I would definitely have a professional come take it away. Best to do it when it is cold and they are kinda dormant. Plug the hole, cover with a plastic bag and cut it down.

Good luck.
this is what my DH does...waits til dark, then ties a plastic bag around it and saws it off. He swears they are all in there after dark. works for him :roll: