Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Myths, Wives tales, Superstitions, and the Like

Blog Entries
    I was told by my grandmother not to be around cumcumber vines while having my period because it would kill them. It's good luck to eat black eyed peas and hog's jowl ( a larger, thicker style of bacon) on New Years Day of A Wish Bone was called a pulley bone at my house too.

Wind from the East, rain at least!
    Sing before 7, cry before 11.
    NEVER lay a hat on the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen
    It was pully bone in Maine.
    Always been a "wishbone" in our family

Blog Entries
    I have a special rock that I keep outside. When it is hot & dry- it is sunny, when wet-it is raining, when white-it is snowing! :lol:

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berrypatch
    I have a special rock that I keep outside. When it is hot & dry- it is sunny, when wet-it is raining, when white-it is snowing! :lol:
    LOL too funny! Here in wyoming we use a logging chain, same thing but for if it is moving the wind is blowing! LOL

I think it is so funny to read about never putting a hat on the bed. Years ago I read a funny story in Reader's Digest about an older couple that had always slept on separate twin beds. Man's friend asked him once how he knew when his wife was 'in the mood'. He said 'Every night I wear my hat to bed and throw it over to her bed. Some times she throws it back, some times she brings it back'. Laughed my butt off when I read it and it has stuck with me all these years ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    Quote Originally Posted by berrypatch
    LOL too funny! Here in wyoming we use a logging chain, same thing but for if it is moving the wind is blowing! LOL
    Heck if the logging chain is moving, I'd think you were in the midst of a tornado! :)

Oh, just remembered the Big Dipper...if it is tipped up(pouring water out) it is going to rain. Love all these sayings and superstitions.

Quote Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    Oh I forgot one,
    Never give anyone an empty wallet for a gift, always put at least a dollar bill in it, if not it was considered bad financial luck.

laalaaquilter, those poor crickets!
    I've always put a shiny new penny in any pocketbooks/wallets I've made for people. It is so ingrained that I don't even think of it being based on old wives tales.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    if there were bubbles when we poured tea into your tea cup, my MIL used to scoop them up with a spoon and eat them. If you did, you were supposed to have money coming your way.
    I can just picture this!!LOL!

speaking of superstitions, everyone knows about the wishbone and making a wish. How many grew up calling it a "pully bone"? I had a friend down south who called it that.
    me, me it was always a pully bone.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast