Nashville Donations

Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 AM

Has anyone donated anything to the Nashville victims and KNOW that the donation went where it is suppose to? We were thinking of driving down there to donate TONS of clothing, etc, but would like to learn who has actually done this.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:07 AM

Contact the Red Cross
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 AM

Contact some of your local churches or go online and contact some churches in Nashville. There will be many churches that will be accepting clothing/food/water/tents/cots/blankets, etc. That way it will be more personal. When dealing with National organizations you can never be sure that anything you donate will go to where it's supposed to.
Sorry but I'm just not a Red Cross fan at all. Can't stand them but I apologize, in advance, if I'm stepping on toes. My dislike of them was confirmed when they flew a friend's son(a soldier) home from overseas for a family funeral---his father had died. The money that RC had "donated" was taken out of his pay for quite awhile until he got it paid back. Not a charity in my book.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boxerlady
Contact the Red Cross
The Red Cross is seemingly doing a good job there and may be able to direct you. I also agree with contacting churches and other organizations.

There may be someone on this board from that area that can put you in touch with the right people.

Locally the Red Cross and TV station did a telethon last night for an hour and collected money.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 AM

Please post donation sites for nashville locally. have many things that can be donated.
like you, i do not like the Red Cross--Our salvation army is better locally
Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks for alerting me about the Red Cross -
Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 PM

You might check with McQuilter here on this board or PM her. Her husband is doing or is going to be doing a big clean-up job in Nashville.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 PM

My parents were living in MN and they lived in a mobile home park outside St.Paul and got hit by a torando, their home was picked up and dumped over, they were unhurt, only minor, my 3 younger sisters were also in it...over a 100 mobile homes were gone that night..the Red Cross came out that night and set up coffee etc and charged for it..the people that had just lost all were asked to pay for the cup of coffee.. I was being a
RC volunteer nurse in our Navy medical facility in South Carolina at that time...I couldn't believe it.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM

I'm sorry, but I have never heard of the Red Cross charging for victims to have a cup of coffee or a meal. I have worked Disaster Relief and that was not the policy nor is it the policy to my knowledge. Even the volunteers who work the disasters are given the beverages and meals free of charge.

Please call the Red Cross in your area to make a contribution. Check with local churches as they may have an 'outlet' to take your clothing and such down there. With all of the disaster relief workers that will be there, the confussion, and chaos, may be better to see what you can do from this end first. Hotels, food, water, will all be at a premium so to speak.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 AM

I too have worked with the Red Cross and it is not their responsibility to pay for flights when military personnel return to for a family emergency. It is their responsibility to transmit the emergency communications between the family and military, get the supporting documentation about the emergency for the military and help make the flight plans. The military and the service person themselves are responsible for the payment.

And I know for a fact that all disaster assistance provided by the Red Cross is free to victims so I highly doubt the veracity of the story about charging victims for coffee.

I find it best to call the organization to ask for clarification before I say negative things about it in a public forum.