Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need inexpensive place to stay near UCLA Med. Ctr >

Need inexpensive place to stay near UCLA Med. Ctr

Need inexpensive place to stay near UCLA Med. Ctr

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Unfortunately, there is no real provision at UCLA according to everything that I am able to fine. Some of the hotels do reduce the price for families but still are usually well over $100 per night. We are hoping to find a place with a small refrig. and maybe a microwave so we can save on eating every meal out. One could say that I am suffering from sticker shock over the price differences between CA and FL. I thank you all for your kind suggestions and we appreciate your prayers. This is such a loving group of friends on this board! Still hoping for something we can afford better. Tomorrow is another (and brighter) day just filled with hope. Thanks again, Donna
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Prayers said. I am not familair with that area so I have no idea either but I hope something comes around. Have you tried churches to see if anyone rents out rooms and kitchen priviledges. My DD goes to another of the UC and found a room to rent with a single mom.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 PM

Contact a church in the area. They may have some ideas or perhaps chuch members who would be willing to step up and help. Our church has a small place we allow people to stay for a short time free of charge during a crisis.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 PM

I dont know if the Ronald McDonald house would be able to accommodate you or not. It maybe worth a try.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 AM

http://tivertonhouse.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=26

Did you find this website? It doesn't list rates, but it is associated with UCLA Medical Center
Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 AM

When my friend was having experimental treat at Stanford Medical, the hospital has a couple of low cost motels close by. I would call the Center and ask if they also have some low cost "shelters", I'm sure that they do, when my granddaughter was in Redding for a emergency surgery, the hospital has a low cost "rooming" house.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sak658
In Houston, we have Ronald McDonald house for family members to stay in..my daughter was so blessed to be able to stay there when my grandson was having head surgery..It was right near the hospital..They may have one in LA. Prayers for you and your daughter..
fyi - Ronald McDonald house is only for families of children undergoing medical treatment. It is not for families of adults undergoing medical treatment :-(.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 AM

have you looked at Extended Stay hotels? there is one within 5 miles that is under $60 a night on a weekly rate.
http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/R...-7307eeed5932&

and they have a kitchen, etc.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 AM

Contact the service organizations in the area, or in YOUR area, as they'll know who to contact in LA.

Kiwaniis, Lions Club, Elks Lodge, Moose Lodge, Masons/Shriners..... this kind of thing is what they do best!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM

Contact Patient Services at the Medical Center. They'll have listings, or have arrangements with donors, volunteers, or possible Medical Sponsors that'll help.
work at the University of Colorado Cancer Center, .... those types of programs are widely availble.