Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need new stove-convection oven or not? >

Need new stove-convection oven or not?

Need new stove-convection oven or not?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Please help me with some input if you can. I need to buy a new stove, but a lot of the new models have convection ovens, which I have never used and know nothing about. What are the pros and cons on using a convection oven? :?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:27 AM

All pro in my eyes. Better and more even cooking of multiple items in the oven. I love mine.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM

I don't use mine much but I think it's just the oven in general I don't really like. I have Kitchenaid appliances and I wouldn't get them again.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I have a KitchenAid wall oven with the convection feature and like it a lot. I don't use convection all that often, but like it when I do. Different strokes I guess.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM

I have a basic GE oven with a glass stove top. It does just what I need. No convection here.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

I have one that is either. You can choose which u use and then it even has a setting where I can set it to cook like a 4 hour timer for say a baked chicken and hit convert and it will change to convection and cook the appropriate amount of time. I really like having an option as I love convection cooking but not always want it. Also the fan comes on when pre-heating so it hets up much quicker.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 AM

I was SO excited when I was finally able to get a new oven. I had to have a convection, though I'd never had one before! Turns out, I rarely use it unless I am using more than one rack in the oven. I bought one of the larger ovens, and because of the fan for the convection usage, my big cookie sheet will NOT fit correctly. I am not happy about that-something to think about! My SIL has one and uses hers all the time and loves it-part of the reason I thought I would like one. Honestly, I would trade the convection for more room in the oven. LOVE my glass top though!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Mine has the option of doing either way. I have double ovens and they work really well. I prefer the bake, no convection, method as it is less drying but I agree if you do multiple items it is nice to have convection especially with baked goods. That said I seldom use it. It does help you cook items faster and at a lower temperature. Mine automatically adjusts temperature if I set it to convection. So bake is 350 but if I change it to convection it will set it at 325 degrees. We got our oven from some one that was putting in a new kitchen but it was practically new. I agree about the loss of space in the oven. Couldn't get my piza pan in any more and can only place one cookie sheet versus two next to each other. I did not like a glass cook top and would never get one again if i had a choice. It heats up the place, too slow to cool down etc. I like cooking on gas.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM

The fan for the convection does make full cookie sheets or a 16" pizza a problem. I have both and don't use the convection much. I do like the temp probe for roasts though :-)

Wish I had done a microwave/convection combo instead. Had one of those before and loved it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

And I am with Anna on cooking with gas! I got a dual fuel range. Gas top, electric oven/convection combo.