Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need to read 'Terms of Service' >

Need to read 'Terms of Service'

Need to read 'Terms of Service'

Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 AM

Default Need to read 'Terms of Service'

The link is at the very bottom of the page. Interesting reading......
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Red face

I need a lawyer to dechipher it first...
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Wow, you aren't kidding. Were these terms of service always in effect? Especially concerning is this one:
You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site.

Does this mean, if I post a picture of my machine quilting, a design a came up with ON MY OWN out of my OWN LITTLE BRAIN, by posting a picture of it, I am granting the QB permission use those designs to say, publish a book of machine quilting designs and I get no credit or compensation?? I forfeited it by posting here?
What about all our members who come up with quilt designs on their own, did not use a pattern, does this mean the board can devise a pattern that replicates the picture and sell the pattern with no credit or compensation to the designer?

That particular T&C sure does seem to indicate that is exactly what the QB can do.

Hmmm our friendly little neighborhood QB doesn't seem so friendly or neighborly any more does it?

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-02-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM

I don't know, but guess, that the QB has been bought ! The letter font of the new board opening pages looks real familiar, been thinking all day where I've seen it. Too, have you ever seen so many ads before; if they were there I ignored them, but having my feathers ruffled I'm more sensitive to just about everything on the board. Look at the number of folks that are viewing at this moment; where else could some of these vendors get such coverage immediately and continuously ?

As far as the "terms of service" I too have questions, but am not a lawyer either.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
I don't know, but guess, that the QB has been bought ! .
Hmmm you might be right, it is an "Internet Brands" company????
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM

It looks to me to be pretty much line with the TOS you'd find on other message boards or email group. The clause about rights to republish or resell is generally accepted to mean the permission they need to show (publish) the posts/photos on the board itself. And the reselling refers to the use of our posts/photos as content on this board website when selling ads.

I'm not involved with this board but as a YahooGroups listowner, I've participated in many TOS discussions as they've changed over the tears.

Sandy
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM

By displaying or posting content on the Site, you hereby grant us a nonexclusive global license to publish the content submitted by you to the Site.
Yes, this part is 'standard' stuff. Basically saying they can publish what you write on the site. No big deal.

You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site. These nonexclusive publishing license and resale/adaptation rights extend to any materials submitted "for publication" within the Site, including both message board postings and content submitted for uploading and subsequent publishing within non-message board portions of the Site.
This is where it is very different than other sites.