Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need some help from my quilting friends! >

Need some help from my quilting friends!

Need some help from my quilting friends!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 AM

I recently had my second cataract removed. Unfortunately since the first one was done 7 years ago and only had the plain silicone lens implanted, I was unable to get the Toric lens this time around. The MD said there would be great difficulty getting the eyes to work together. :-( Did your insurance pay for the Toric lens? My MD said the cost is about $1500.

Anyhow, my MD remved the cataract and did a procedure called "limbal relaxation" to relieve my astigmatism since it was so bad in the cataract eye. Now it is 3 months later, and I just got my glasses this past weekend.

What an adjustment - my distance is great, but the closeup is giving me trouble. What do I do now trying to thread a needle ... Unfortunately recovering from this type of surgery, you have to have patience. It's really funny, but your vision WILL get BETTER. Sounds weird, but it's true. Patience is a virtue. Hard to say when things are blurry and you feel like you are drunk.

Kat
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen
I had mine done 2 weeks apart, tried to wear my regular glasses with one lens out....then remembered I had a pair of contacts I had gotten that summer, put one in my bad eye and away I went. Then went to the dollar store and got a pair of reading glasses. If you don't have a contact lense, go to Walmart and get fitted for one real fast. Won't cost much and you will be soooooo relieved. I had worn bifocals before the surgery so this worked for me. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO SEW as soon as you get that contact. The new ones take no getting used to. Bless you, I wish you the best.

BTW, the reason your glasses probably don't work is because the implant is single vision.
I had mine done three weeks apart, could see immediately, washed clothes the same day, drove the next day, grocery shopped the following day. Get them done close together and then you can get your new glasses without having to change lenses in midstream. Also, get the Transitition glasses. They are marvelous and after cataract surgery bright lights are so bright and the Transititions help remarkably. Good luck to you. I had mine done almost three years ago. Edie
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Reading about the transition lenses made me think of something else that worked for me ....

I had glasses with the magnetic clip on sunglasses, and had a pair of yellow ones made for night driving.

It really helped pre-surgery ... and I prefer them for night driving, even ten years later.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 AM

Wear a patch over the "bad" eye and sew in short spurts. Your depth perception will be off but you can adjust to that. Just don't go longer than 15-20 min at a time. Rest with eyes closed for 5 min or so after then in about 20 min go again.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 AM

If a patch over the bad eye doesn't work, I'd call the doctor who did your surgery and ask him what to do.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by keesha_ont
Last Thursday I had cataract surgery with astigmatism corrective lens put in my eye. Surgery went well - no discomfort, etc. at all. Prior to this surgery I was blind as a bat pretty near without my glasses. I now have one eye done and starting to see pretty good with it. However, I'm finding it very very difficult to function when the other eye is worse than the one I had done. Took the lens out of my glasses for the "new" eye but can't see anything with both eyes with the lens for the other eye in. I've tried taping the other eye lens with electrical tape but it seems to be straining the eye that had surgery. I'm feeling pretty frustrated as about all I can do is sit on the couch and listen to the tv. My husband has been getting the brunt of my frustration. I'm sure once the other eye is done (october 14) both eyes will work together nicely but right now that is too far away for me. I'm also supposed to be at work (accountant) as I have a lot of deadlines. One of the worst problems is that I can see my quilting room from the couch where I have about 25 boomerang squares to make (sorry ladies - they'll be coming) and can't sew a stitch. I think that is the hardest for me to endure right now. I am thankful that there is surgery like this and in a month or so I'll be eternally grateful for this surgery but right now I'm not liking it at all. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had implant surgery for this problem and how they functioned until the second eye was done. Thank you all!
I held my best friend's hand, through the same surgery, for cataracts. Be patient. Try listening to music. You can just close your eyes and enjoy. He liked classical. What's your favorite? Keep your mind on the end. What a blessing.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Same thing happened to me, my eyes were so bad & even my thick plastic lenses in my glasses were so heavy that when I took the one lens out, my glasses were crooked, so couldn't see out of them. I covered my "good" eyes and wore my glasses for my bad eye and then when that eye got tired, I took off my glasses and covered the bad eye. A pain, but didn't have to wait long for second surgery (A week I think) and then I could see with out my glasses but couldn't read with out "cheater" glasses from dollar store. Both eyes doing great now and it has been almost 10 years, but that 1st week was misserable.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Yes I had the surgery and found if I wore my old glasses it worked so I could see. Just be patient until you get your new glasses.
It is wonderful.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM

My eye dr prescribed a contact lens, and it worked great!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 PM

I just had both of my eyes done last winter. I had to wait 6 wks between surgery and I agree that was really hard. Put now it is sooooooo worth it.