Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a yummy mexican dish - any suggestions/recipes?

Need a yummy mexican dish - any suggestions/recipes?

We're having company this weekend and I was going to do a make-it-yourself taco/burrito spread, but I'd really like to include some sort of casserole-type hot dish to go with it. Something impressive, but not too involved as my time is limited. Any ideas? Even better, any recipes?
    A nature-loving soapmaking older homeschooling mom who grew up sewing over at gram's house.
    wildhavensoap.com

I can't wait to see what people send you!! I love Mexican food!! YUMMY!
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

I have an easy recipe for you..........takes less than an hour to make and put on the table.

Take a bunch chicken tenders(depends on how many people are gonna be served) cook them a little bit. And then open a couple of canned diced chilies and a big jar of Herdez salsa (you can use you favorite salsa) simmer until tender.
    I cook some mexican rice (rice a roni brand) and make a big batch of guacamole and tortillas.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

layer can or jar of sliced tamales, cheddar cheese, fritos, and a can of chili.
    bake 350 , 20 min

A dish that is a favorite in our family:
    Chicken Enchilada Casserole
    Two cups cooked diced chicken ( I'll poach 2 or three checken breasts then dice, or use left over chicken)
    1 small onion diced
    1 4 oz can diced green chilis
    2 cans mushroom soup, diluted with 1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
    6 corn or flour tortillas, torn into small pieces
    2 cups grated cheese I like to use montery jack or half jack and half cheddar)
    Saute onion in a small amount of oil until soft. Mix all ingredients together, reserving half the cheese. Turn into greased casserole. Bake at 400 until bubbly and hot throughout, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, return to oven until cheese is melted.
    I like to serve this with cornbread and a green salad with tomatoes and avocado.
    When I want something a little more special, I will make enchiladas, by preparing the sauce separately, saving out the cheese.. Put a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of the casserole. I like the flour tortillas here, put about a tablespoon of sauce on a tortilla, add a generous amount of cheese, then roll up. Lay the tortilla seamside down in casserole, repeat with each tortilla. Top with remaining sauce, bake at 400 until hot, top with extra cheese.
    If you use corn tortillas for the enchiladas, you will need to soften them by heating them in hot oil for a minute or so before filling and rolling.

Spanish Rice
    1 lb hamburger
    1 cup rice
    1 small onion chpped
    1/2 green pepper chopped
    1 stalk cellery, sliced finely
    1-4 jalapeno peppers ( optional) diced, remove ribs and seeds
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp Chili Powder or to taste
    2 cups water or more as needed
    1 cup diced cheese
    1/2 cup grated cheese
    brown and crumble hamburger, drain and set aside, reserving drippings.In same pan, using reserved drippings, over low heat brown rice, stirring constantly, being careful to not scorch the rice. When the rice is an amber brown,Add onion peppers and celery and cook until are soft. Add hamburger, tomato sauce water and seasoning. Cover and cook until rice is soft. Check occassionally and add additional water if necesary. Taste for seasoing. Stir in diced cheese, turn into serving dish and top with grated cheese.
    Niether of these are particularly authentic, but very tasty. throw some chopped black olives into either dish if you like.
    Cosy
    A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever
    http://www.cosyquilt.com

Yellow rice with diced red peppers and green chilis.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I make this in the crockpot. It's an easy, non-measuring recipe so you'll need to adjust for your situation. It freezes great!

Swansons Chicken broth in the box (maybe 2) My fav restaurant serves this brothy, not too thick.
    Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (green label) (use 2 if you like spicy hot or use 1 mild)
    canned black beans, drained
    canned yellow corn or Mexicorn, drained
    diced onion
    shredded cooked chicken breasts (I poach mine about 25-30 minutes)
    lots of oregano, either dried or fresh snipped
    several dashes dried garlic
    couple shakes cumin
    salt and pepper

Let cook on high in the crockpot for about 3 hours.
    Serve topped with white shredded cheese, avocado slices, tortilla strips (Lays and Mission have strips), and a fresh lime wedge.

Don't forget the Corona and lime!!
    Wonderful!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Oooo - they all sound great!! Thanks so much for the ideas!
    A nature-loving soapmaking older homeschooling mom who grew up sewing over at gram's house.
    wildhavensoap.com

Use the above recipe for enchiladas - layer ingredients as you do for lasagna. I like to add a "little" extra cheese, use canned enchilada (mild) sauce. Bake 350 for 30-40 minutes. We had beef enchilada last night and everyone ate "heartily". Chicken is also very good. Kraft "fiesta" shredded cheese is great for this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast