Netflix...do you use it?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:51 PM

We recently had our cable shut off. We were paying an arm and a leg for cable/internet/phone and it wasn't worth it...the cable channels were half repeats, we didn't use our land line anymore...so we got just DSL for our internet and we have a digital converter box and antenna set up so we can get the local and public access programming.

I'm considering doing the one month Netflix trial, for the dvd's and to have stuff stream to my laptop...

For those of you who use dvd/streaming netflix plan...is it worth it? I've heard many say that it is...and some say they don't watch enough for it to be worth it. Hubby and I do sit down every evening to watch tv...so I think it might be worth it for us...just looking for opinions!!

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM

I have to say - we never get the dvd's anymore. We use it through the X-box, Wii, or the blue ray player. We do still have satalite but almost never use it. Netflix is great to watch full seasons of tv shows on. We do that more than anything now. It is worth much more than the 9.00 we pay for it for us. We are very big into tv :)
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM

It's waay worth it for my family too. Between hulu and netflix, we don't miss our cable.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM

I have a netflix account and personally I do not use it. My boys do though. They can watch movies and tv shows and since I opened that account, no one has made mention of wanting to go to the movie theater. Instead I have heard a comment on waiting until it comes on netflix. I hear you on the cable, phone and internet. I do have to say though mine is still cheaper then using the phone company who use to charge me a deposit and monthly charge just to not have long distance calling. HUH?! yep they did.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM

I've been considering getting nextflix too. So I'm going to pay attention to what comments others have to offer up.

I shut cable off years ago, and just don't have anything. My roommate goes to the video store constantly...I told him to get check out netflix - that it would probably be cheaper and wouldn't have to drive to the store so much.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
I have to say - we never get the dvd's anymore. We use it through the X-box, Wii, or the blue ray player. We do still have satalite but almost never use it. Netflix is great to watch full seasons of tv shows on. We do that more than anything now. It is worth much more than the 9.00 we pay for it for us. We are very big into tv :)
See, we don't have a gaming system to watch with, or a blue ray player, so we'd be watching on our laptop (the streaming stuff)..which isn't bad, just kinda sucks when you don't feel like holding the laptop anymore, but I'll take that over paying for cable any day.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 PM

My husband and I love Netflix. We can watch movies just about any time we want. Well worth the $9.00 per month and way cheaper than HBO or Cinamax.

I have netflix and am testing hulu. I have old tv. Purchase a Roku device (online) which connects to internet then to tv. Works very goo. Was supposed to get free month of Hulu, but never came to pass. Hulu doesn't seem as organized as netflix, but still not a bad deal. It does not bleep the dirty words.

We've been using Netflix for a few years and I love it. I can get a movie almost any time I want. I can even request a movie that has been made, but isn't on DVD or blue ray yet, and they'll put it in the "wait" pile. I've seen more movies since getting it than I ever have in my life. Yes, you can get whole seasons of a TV series. My daughter does that all the time. It's her way of controlling what tv her kids see. We are 30 miles from the central Oregon distribution center...we usually get a movie back in 2 days. Have never had a mailing problem and yes, I've held on to 2 for over 2 months, just because we were gone a lot and I didn't get around to watching them! Oh, and another thing, they give a GOOD discription of the movies/shows. That helps me decide. :)
Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Have you tried to connect your lap top to your tv? My husband has our desk top attached to our TV.