Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: new to canning

I have decided to try and learn how to can and am wondering what you think the best book would be for a beginner? I plan on using a pressure canner and will be canning fruits, veggies and meats like venison. Any ideas would be appreciated ~ thanks ladies ;-)

or do you think a water canner would be better?

Blog Entries
    I always used the Ball canning book and I used pressure canner. Been canning all my life but with just 2 of us now, not so much. Makes you feel so good when you sit back and see all you accomplished! Good luck!!

We've canned just about everything at one time or another. Be sure your jars don't have any nicks around the top to hamper sealing. The older glass mayo jars, if you have any, are fine for fruits and veggies. But because meats takes a longer time and more pressure, always use jars specifically for canning when you do meat.

Good Luck!

I recommend that you go to your county extension service. It should be in Reed City on West Upton Avenue. They should have publications that they can give you on canning. They might also know someone that might be willing to be a mentor. Don't forget that your tax dollars pays for the MSU Extension Service. It's just like libraries...we need to use these services. The extension services are not utilized near enough and are staff with great people.

Blog Entries
    I've never canned anything more complicated than jam, but my understanding is with meat you HAVE to use a pressure canner.

Sorry I don't have any recommendations for books - I always used the chart that came with the pectin.

Blog Entries
    I use the waterbath method and have had good success. Mostly I make whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and jams. Got the first batch of blackberries freezing. One more batch and I'll have enough to make jam.

We can a lot with just a waterbath. The venison however we freeze. I think canning the venison would not be worth it. If you use a Food Saver or any vaccum sealer system and freezer it keeps well. A couple of years ago we found some vension in the freezer that was 3 years old. We cooked it and it was fine thanks to the vaccumn sealer.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cjsparks
    I recommend that you go to your county extension service. It should be in Reed City on West Upton Avenue. They should have publications that they can give you on canning. They might also know someone that might be willing to be a mentor. Don't forget that your tax dollars pays for the MSU Extension Service. It's just like libraries...we need to use these services. The extension services are not utilized near enough and are staff with great people.
    I agree. They have a wealth of information, recipes, directions, cautions, everything for the asking! Here in Georgia, they will also check your pressure gauges each year to make sure they are registering correctly.

Go get the Ball canning book.. it is cheap and very good.. and yes you can only can meat with a pressure canner.. have done it for years... The chicken in jars is the best.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast