New cook Top

Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

I just got a new cook top installed today. the smooth kind. ceramic glass it says. anyone know how to clean it? i have a small bottle of cleaner the man left and a small packet of stainless steel cleaner which is mostly mineral oil.
I just want to keep it clean which wasn't done with my old curled electric burners. my hubby was the cook and everything was cooked on high.
these burners heat up quickly and take forever to cool off to I've noticed.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Iclean mine with Soft Scrub, works well for me.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:21 PM

I use Soft-Scrub and razor blade. Use non-abrasive couring pads. I like my stove with glass cook top.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

thanks, i'll get some. I don't want my hubby to try using anything that could harm it. not that he cleans anyway!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 PM

There is a product that starts with a W...you can find it in the cleaning section...that is specifically for smooth top stoves. I use it and I also bought the box of wipes (same brand). I use the liquid when I have made a mess...otherwise, each day after I use the stove and wipe it with my dish cloth, I then wipe it with a wipe cloth. I have had mine for 2 years now and I am very happy with it.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:45 PM

I have a black cooktop and made the mistake of buying a ceramic cleaner with conditioner. this leaves a film and I can write on it with my fingers. So I clean it then have to use a window cleaner to remove the film. Another problem is DH uses it as a counter top not a good idea. I made vibrant quilt top to caver the top and remind him "do not use".
No one uses the stove but me. so we have no fires.
I love it when it is clean and would never go back to coils.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 PM

I use only a blue scrubber (non-abrasive) or the crocheted netting type and Bon-Ami cleansing powder. I first wash the top with hot soapy water, sprinkle on the Bon-Ami, then scrub with the blue scrubber. If really bad, let mixture dry then scrub with dampened scrubber.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Why is it that men cook with such high heat???
My hubby, sons, brother- all of them. What a mess!! :D:D
But they are such great cooks!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM

I love mine but my hubby overheated the big front burner last year while I was in Ohio.It is permanently discolored....the rest I keep nice with soft scrub and windex..... :thumbup:
Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I use only a blue scrubber (non-abrasive) or the crocheted netting type and Bon-Ami cleansing powder. I first wash the top with hot soapy water, sprinkle on the Bon-Ami, then scrub with the blue scrubber. If really bad, let mixture dry then scrub with dampened scrubber.
I have a black glass top. I've always been afraid that BonAmi would scratch it, so I've never tried it. I agree that the special cleaner they recommend leaves a finish you can write on like dust on a polished piece of furniture - IF you use more than a dot or 2 of it! LOL I use a razor blade scraper - like the ones you can get at a hardware store to scrape paint off windows after you paint the trim. It does a good job of scraping off splashes of stuff & burned-on bits. Then I use a soapy dishcloth to remove the bits & grease. Next, I rinse the dishcloth and wipe again. After all that is done, and if I'm not fed up with the whole process, I put on a dot or 2 of the recommended cleaner and wipe the whole top with a paper towel to remove the water streaks.

The glass tops are amazingly forgiving. If you're too tired to do it tonight, you can do it tomorrow night - or the next night. The razor scraper REALLY does a great job of getting burned-on stuff off. We've had ours for nearly 20 years, and I can make it look nearly new - when I feel like it - which isn't very often. DH does it when he feels like it, too.