The new Kindle "Fire"

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Pink zebra - Wow, let me know if you find any. Would you like me to send you pictures of my covers?

Blessings upon you. Ellie

Originally Posted by mltquilt
I too love to read real books, but the 12 yo GD has requested one for Christmas. She will be 13 in Dec so her we are doing a combined gifting from her parents and us. DH ordered is yesterday. Hope it makes it by Christmas. Guess I will have to make a cover for it. Now to find some pink zebra material.

mltquilt
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Needle Up
I asked at the beginning of this conversation if you can also listen to audio books on the Kindel. I never did see a reply. I know it sounds stupid but I know nothing about the Kindel.
You can get audio books on the new Kindle Touch which will be released Nov 19th. It also has a text to speech function so you can have a book read to you but I wonder how it would sound. It's on special now for $149.
My 2 kids were going to get me the Kindle Fire for Christmas but after watching this topic and learning more about other Kindles ( I don't have one now) I decided the new 3G Kindle Touch would be best for me. It has lots of neat features.

Also some have asked why pay all that money for books when you can go to the library for free. They have lots of books for $0.99 and all out of copyright books are free. Also you can get books from the library downloaded to the newer Kindles.
I want it because I travel lot and it will be so much more convenient. Also I often finish a book when the library isn't open. With the Kindle you can download anytime and as many as you want and they are yours to keep or give to others.
Here's a link to info about the new Kindle Touch.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005890G8O/...menu_kdpwtso33
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I want to listen to books while I sew. I am one that can't sit still long enough to read.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Needle Up
Thank you so much for the information. I want to listen to books while I sew. I am one that can't sit still long enough to read.
You're welcome! I listen to audio books on my Bose radio/CD player while I sew also. I figure with an audio book on the Kindle I can continue listening to it when I go to cook supper or when driving somewhere.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM

I realized another good use with the Kindle vs. books - - while waiting for my husband, I finished reading one book - and was able to click right on and start another book without having the burden of carrying the second book in my bag "in case" I finish the first one. I have borrowed 3 books from the library and it went great - only problem was when I went to sign up for "The Help" found I was number 560 on a waiting list. Think I'll just spend the $9.99 and buy it. :-) Love my Kindle, so glad I bought it!

Marysewfun
Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM

They have gone on sale on Amazon for preorders. The price is quite reasonable that way. My husband has ordered one that will be delivered around the middle of November. He is very enthused about all its features.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM

Anyone interested in deep discussion and information about the new Kindle Fire - what it does and what and why it doesn't do - just click on this link blow. It's Amazon's discussion forum. A lot of information available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/di...x1IUYZGAGRPBOL

Hmm, doesn't look like a link here so might have to copy and paste.

Marysewfun
Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 PM

waiting to read the review about new fire's fast browsing and other apps.