New Paypal requirement?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I won't use my Kohl's dept store card because they now ask for your SS # to look it up. Haven't used it in years and it looks like I won't be using it anytime soon. Everyone wants your number but have no right to it. I emailed the Whitehouse about this but never heard a thing back. everyone should email there.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM

Any bank or financial company always tells everyone they never ask you to verify your password or any other information that is personal in nature, it's always a good idea if you get an email like that to double check on the phone with them if your unsure.
Even if Paypal wants your SSN for IRS purposes I would still get a live person on the other end of the phone and do it that way, I'd never send that kind of information over the net you never know if it's the right site or not.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I'd call PayPal again. Sometimes it helps if you speak to a different person. When you say they explained WHY they need that info, what was the reason?
He told me that the govt. was requiring them to get that info. I still contend that I'm not a seller and they dont need that info. I didnt have a problem until my paypal balance got low and I tried to add money to my acct from the bank acct I had stored with them....I opened a special acct at the bank just for paypal...kept only small amt in that acct to transfer to paypal after I got scammed for $800 last year. paypal did reimburse $600 of my money in just a few days, but over 30 days for the original $200 charge....at that time I removed my credit card # from paypal and opened up a new acct for that and never kept over a few hundred dollars....sure didnt want anyone hacking into my main bank acct.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Guess I'm dense--don't understand why you are transferring into your paypal acct if you are using your debit card and paypal has your bank acct info. I let paypal do a direct transfer from my bank acct to pay when I buy something, and they have my cc info, as I understand it, so I can choose the way I want to pay---also as it was explained to me...''in event my bank balance doesn't cover the purchase". I have heard also that they have been ordered by the IRS to collect SSN's from people who sell, so their sales can be reported for tax collection. I do not sell, so it is of no concern to me. But you know you cannot fight "city hall". Sounds to me like the folks might have you confused with another customer. ?? But stay safe & communicate only with the valid Paypal.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 PM

aha..I've had an epiphany re the problem with your paypal acct. I think it might be because you are transferring money from your bank acct into the Paypal acct, and maybe it looks like you are receiving from somewhere else (as a seller would) and therefore the gov't would have reason to require your SSN. Just do as I and let Paypal do an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank acct..ie. the special acct you set up with your bank.....instead of transferring cash to your paypal acct. Makes sense????
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
aha..I've had an epiphany re the problem with your paypal acct. I think it might be because you are transferring money from your bank acct into the Paypal acct, and maybe it looks like you are receiving from somewhere else (as a seller would) and therefore the gov't would have reason to require your SSN. Just do as I and let Paypal do an electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank acct..ie. the special acct you set up with your bank.....instead of transferring cash to your paypal acct. Makes sense????
Duh....never thought to do that, I just thought I had to keep money in my paypal acct, and when it got low I'd transfer more funds from the bank to paypal....maybe they did think I was a seller, but all they had to do was look at my transactions....whew! makes me feel better. But now I regret even giving them my bank acct number, but it's also dangerous using a credit card to make purchases, just have to be very cautious I guess. I sure hate to think I'd have to give up online shopping...LOL
Old 07-22-2012, 03:58 AM

I have had the same issue's with PayPal that you have. I have had PP for many many years and so have my children and friends. Not one of them have been asked for their SS#. I get asked when I sign in to my account. I will not give them my SS#. If that means I close my acct. then I will. I only buy and give donations on PP, so they do not need my SS#.

Originally Posted by vhord620 View Post
I've recently been asked for my Social Security # from paypal. I'm sure most of you shop online and use paypal. I can no longer transfer money from my bank acct to my paypal acct. Now....if I have to use a credit card I may as well use the credit card in the first place. My bank has my SS#, and all other info to prove who I am. I'm not asking Paypal to loan me money....they make money by charging the retailer to use the service, a convienience to us both. They do try to get me to apply for one of thier credit cards, another way to make money off me. I use a Debit card issued from my bank, acts just like a credit card online, there is no cost to me to use it, it comes directly out of my bank account, if I dont have funds I shouldn't be shopping...I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!

Have any of you encountered the same thing, and how do you feel about it?

A frequent online shopper, Viv
Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM

There is a scam going on pretending to be PayPal, but it's not. Do not give any info. Just delete message. The same thing happened to me. Although I did report it to PayPal. ~~Ann~~
Old 07-22-2012, 04:49 AM

I only use my credit card when buying things, especially online. It is much easier to dispute if there is a problem and someone can't clear out my bank account. I don't use my debit card any more except at the ATM. I write the charged amount in my check register as I spend so that I can pay the full balance every month. Balancing my account is a little more difficult, but not bad. I just got a notification that I have reached my 12 year anniversary with ebay, and I think I set up my paypal account at the same time. I have never had a problem that was not easily remedied.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 AM

I only use paypal to buy, never sold with it, so I'm good!