Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
new unwashed jeans and overalls >

new unwashed jeans and overalls

new unwashed jeans and overalls

Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Default new unwashed jeans and overalls

Anyone else remember new jeans that were so stiff that they had to be washed about ten times before they would bend?

And buying them "big" to allow for shrinkage?

And the water still turning blue after many many washes?

I do like buying the pre- washed jeans.

Will not buy the bleach Streaked or torn/frayed ones. I still think the jeans should "earn" wear fade and frays and tears From actual wear by a person.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 AM

I agree. Paying top dollar for things to look worn out just doesn't cut it for me. Probably dating myself with that attitude, lol.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Even when I was younger and fairly trim and slim, I never wore the jeans that were faded. They never looked dressy no matter how much some tried. I remember my cousin bought a pear of high dollar jeans. She and her brother took them out to a tree with a shotgun. They had to wait a couple days because when the gun went off, they disturbed a hornet's nest right above and they ran leaving the gun and the jeans behind. When they went back the gun was missing. Uncle was not a happy camper and even more upset that those $30.00 jeans had holes in them. She was suppose to get 2 pair without holes. That was her last pair til she got a job after high school.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:54 AM

I used to live in a mill town, Stonewall Mississippi. Burlington cotton mill. We had a mill store that I used to go in to buy jeans. They were just like that. Thanks for invoking a memory.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 AM

I had several pairs of jeans, which started out stiff and dark indigo . . . and ended up faded (no bleach, just worn a lot) and as soft as butter. I used to wear them to school and embroider flowers and such on the legs, between classes. My very favorite pair finally got so thin in the seat, I was afraid to wear them in public. I think I still have them, boxed up somewhere. In those days, I was very active and quite thin, so I keep them for sentimental purposes only.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 AM

I remember growing up that only the really poor people wore jeans that were frayed and had holes in them. My mom always patched and trimmed to make our jeans look good.

And and don't even get me started on the people that wear their pants so far down they have to hold them up just to walk. Disgusting
Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 AM

We could not wear "pants" to school until 1970. And even then we weren't allowed to wear jeans until 1972. My first pair of Levi's I bought at a fancy store called Fredericks & Nelson were what we called at the time - button up the front, now they call them 501's. They cost $5.00 and my mom thought that was terrible for jeans. I don't think my older sisters ever wore Levi's since they were out of school before it became fashionable to wear them.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:15 AM

I made my own clothes beginning when I was around 12 yrs. old. I've always loved to sew, but now I have so many clothes, I don't sew clothing anymore. The very 1st pair of blue jeans I ever owned and wore, are some I bought the fabric and made myself at age 17. I had an after-school and weekend job, and I bought a lot of fabric for all the clothing that my sister and I wore. I also made my mom some clothing. But the jeans, yes, my when I saw how stiff the denim was, even for the homemade ones, I only made the one pair!

And by the way, at our little country school, we couldn't wear pants until I was a jr. in high school, so beginning in 1973 at the start of the school yr., we could only wear dress pants! So I'm dating myself.....I graduated in 1975, and I'm getting older and proud of it.....it's a blessing from above!

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 06-11-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:02 AM

Back in the late 50's, we were not allowed to wear jeans or slacks of any kind to school. Only exception that I can remember was Senior Ditch Day
Old 06-11-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Even when I was younger and fairly trim and slim, I never wore the jeans that were faded. They never looked dressy no matter how much some tried. I remember my cousin bought a pear of high dollar jeans. She and her brother took them out to a tree with a shotgun. They had to wait a couple days because when the gun went off, they disturbed a hornet's nest right above and they ran leaving the gun and the jeans behind. When they went back the gun was missing. Uncle was not a happy camper and even more upset that those $30.00 jeans had holes in them. She was suppose to get 2 pair without holes. That was her last pair til she got a job after high school.
Love this story. thanks for a morning chuckle. Starts the day off on a bright note.