Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nick names, a Southern thing >

Nick names, a Southern thing

Nick names, a Southern thing

Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 AM

When I was born I was a premie,small red and wrinkled so my maternal grandparents called me "chigger". If you are not from the south a chigger is a small red bug with a very irritating bite. When I was in school there always seemed to be a lot of Carols so I usually went by Ann. The very first time I met my new in-laws I was so nervous. We arrived at their farm and they came out to meet us and my husband introduced me as Carol. All of a sudden a huge black and tan coon hound (Queen Anne something) came running up. Dad said ANNE and I said yes sir, the next dog to greet me was a black cocker spaniel who wanted to jump up and greet me,Dad said CHIGGER and of course I said yes sir. I am so glad the third dog was named Bruce.

I had an Uncle Bubba,Aunt Boots,Aunt Chick,Aunt Dede,Aunt Yeddy and Uncle Sonny. I was probably almost school age before I knew their real names. Did anyone else have nicknames?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 AM

I lived in Texas for almost 18 years and still miss it after being in the Northeast for 13 years....I will be a grandma in June and my girls call me "Grandma Chickie" after a friends grandma from Dallas. My very best friends dad goes by "Tart" and lives on Friendly Path Lane in Tick Acres. Oh, how I miss the south!!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 AM

My mother used to call my brother poopsie because when he was little he used to be in his crib and take his "poopies" and put them on his head!!!! hahahahahah
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 AM

Big D, Mama Z, Toots, Stinky & suz z q! some of the nick names around here
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 AM

Yes, I live in the south. My name is Esther, I go by Lynn, the hubs calls me EffyMae or Muffers....I was called PoleCat as a kid (won't even go there)..my siblings call me Liza, and my girlfriends call me Jubilee.

Yep, I'm from the south! =)
And wouldn't change a thing!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 AM

My Mama is from southwest VA. All of her sisters have three names. None of them use their first names except when they are ticked at each other.

I have an Aunt Ducky, Aunty Sissy (no part of her name is Sissy), Uncle I-Do, Uncle Junior (he isn't a Junior). Another Aunt dates a man I have only herd referred to as "Melon". I have a cousin called nothing but "J. Possum". His name is Doug. Beats me how that happened.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM

My daughter was a premmie, and she was called Itty-Bit, then Loopy Lou, and now she is Aunt Dede. Hubs and the sons are called Fig ,Figgie /Big Fig. My hubs calls me Clem, the only nickname I've ever had. My mom didn'T like nicknames. Grand daughters are Sunshine and Smooch
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 AM

I love all your nicknames!

My proper French mother named me Michele hoping no one would find a nickname for me. My dad had other ideas. He called me Abigail, Lurch (awkward teen years), and Myrtle. He still calls me Myrd which is a nickname for Myrtle. Friends and family call me Chele, Shelly, and Mo. My daughter calls me Madame Blueberry.

I try to think of a new nickname for my daughter every couple of days. Keeps her on her toes! I'm going to have to borrow some of these.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 AM

We're calling our unborn grandchild Peanut. I fear he/she will be Peanut for life.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 AM

Growing up, my dad was the only one in the family with a nickname. His name was Harold Dean, but everyone knew him as "Mac" (our last name started with Mc...). My husband's family, on the other hand, is loaded with them. DH's dad was Bubba or Jimmy, and his grandfather was known as Dutch. He has aunts (on his mom's side) that are called Guinea and Schwester, and an uncle called Bookie.