Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nick and Norah sewing pajamas from Target >

Nick and Norah sewing pajamas from Target

Nick and Norah sewing pajamas from Target

Old 02-17-2016, 04:24 AM

Default Nick and Norah sewing pajamas from Target

I found a pair in my size on clearance. They are too cute! They are also too long! In both the arms and legs.

Can you advise me a nice way to alter them? The arms and legs have a nice faux cuff which I'd like to keep. I was thinking of cutting out a section of fabric in middle of the arms/legs. But I'm kind of stuck on how to finish the seam. French seam maybe?

And how do I sew this slippery shimmery fabric? I think my serpentine stitch, right?

Please share some simple instructions with me. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:37 AM

Because you have said that the fabric is 'slippery shimmery' you need to be sure to use 5/8 inch seams. Because you want to save the faux cuffs you need to work close to them. Cut them off about an inch from the cuff. Cut off the excess length and re-attach the cuffs. You can indeed use a French seam to enclose the raw edges. The finished seam will be just a little bit above the cuff seam but will be unabtrusive because it will be parallel to the cuff. There is a tutorial on Craftsy what shows this method for shortening jeans that have traditional finishes at the hem line. They do not use the French seam because the fabric is different. Enjoy your new 'jammies.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:47 AM

Just beware that depending on how much you are shortening each of those elements, if there is tapering in either/both the sleeve or pant leg, you may also have excess width that will have to be 'eased' into the faux cuffs.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:41 AM

Thanks to both!! I think I bumped into that tute about shortening the jeans a while ago. I think I had that in the back of my mind when I thought up this scheme of mine. Now I'll go back and rewatch it.

Yes, NJ quilter, I'd better be careful about tapering too. I also think I'd better wash them first to see if there is any shrinkage. I'm taking my time on this because they are so darn cute and I don't want to wreck them.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I think I would take a tuck on the inside and then cut off the excess and finish the seam.
I would advise you to wash and dry them before doing anything.
Good luck with the fix.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I think I would take a tuck on the inside and then cut off the excess and finish the seam.
I would advise you to wash and dry them before doing anything.
Good luck with the fix.
Yes make some 'grow' tucks by turning the sleeve inside a bit and making a tuck all the way around. If you want you can make big tucks or several little tucks. Same on the legs. Do it where your elbows and knees won't be rubbed. You can put the tucks on the right or wrong side. Wrong side won't show - right side more decorative. Yup a good visit to the laundry first though.

Last edited by miriam; 02-18-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:26 AM

Guess what? They shrunk in the wash!! Yay!

The arms are now the right length. The legs are a tad long but actually that may serve to keep my feet warm in bed. I'll let it be and see. If I find I am fraying the bottom of the legs, I'll probably end up just cutting the cute little cuffs off and hemming.

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry to say, I'll take the easy way out!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 PM

You can send me the pieces you cut off. My pajamas are never long enough. Ha, ha.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Thanks to both!! I think I bumped into that tute about shortening the jeans a while ago. I think I had that in the back of my mind when I thought up this scheme of mine. Now I'll go back and rewatch it.

Yes, NJ quilter, I'd better be careful about tapering too. I also think I'd better wash them first to see if there is any shrinkage. I'm taking my time on this because they are so darn cute and I don't want to wreck them.
Yes, wash first. Probably won't shrink BUT all that work to make sure they fit and then they shrink and are now too short! They may fit perfect!