Non-Quilt Sewing

Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 AM

Here's one i love making. I sell them and give them for gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyvomCiN9Oo
Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 AM

Here is an easy video tutorial to make a quilted wristlet. They are great little bags that you can customize by making them smaller or bigger, with or without a strap and you will learn how to sew in a zipper. The Crafty Gemini has a bunch of beginner sewing tutorials. Here is the link the her quilted wristlet video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BrtcXAzeBU.

Have fun.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
The cost of patterns has really gone up, along with the coat of fabric it is not really worth "sewing".... Generally, anyway. IMHO.

Absolutely right if buying new. Check out the thrift stores for patterns. I always find them there.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 AM

If you're going to start sewing clothing, be sure to get your patterns on SALE (JA's has sales on different lines every couple of months - 5 for $5 or 10 for $10). Also clothing patterns come multiple sizes on one sheet. I always take my pattern down and make a copy of the size I want to use, so that I can reuse it over and over (NO copy right laws broken when it's for your use). Pattern paper is so thin that if you pin it and cut it one time that's about all you will get to use that pattern, so make your copy and keep the original to make your next copy.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 AM
dd

Be sure to take your measurements and buy the correct size pattern. Clothing you buy off the rack isn't the same size as the pattern you will need. I normally have to make 1 or 2 sizes larger than I buy off the rack.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:09 AM

most patterns are written for beginners (don't use a vogue or burda). Follow the steps IN ORDER the first time. Also, use your measurements not the size you think you are. Patterns have a unique sizing method. People usually want to jump right into the sewing. Take the extra time to prep. It is so much easier to tweak the paper pattern than to work with already cut fabric. We start our students with lounging pant (pull on elastic waist). Usually in cotton or flannel. Get the correct size for hips, then trim in (or out) the waist, thighs or length. This way you learn about patterns and sewing without fussing with zippers or to worried about fit. After you make a couple easy items you can take on set-in sleeves, zippers or bottonholes. Also, lay a piece of painters tape along the 5/8" seam line to remind you to sew a 5/8" seam. Then just have a blast!!! You'll feel more confident with every item you finish. And many, many free tutorials out there!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Palazzo style pants and tunic tops are easy and quick to run up, not sure about us, but you can get magazines in the UK with free patterns, happy sewing.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM

I make a lot of tote bags. They can be very simple to make (or very complicated!). I make simple ones. I have given away dozens, everyone seems to love a tote bag. The ones I make are smaller than the kind you use at the grocery store.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Since you're in Wisconsin, check out the PBS stations and see what channel "Nancy's Notions" and the other shows related to sewing time and date. We get the sewing stations on Saturday mornings 9-12pm. They have a lot of tips. Check your sewing center and see if they have regular sewing classes. YouTube is another for the videos. If you Google beginner sewing you will find all kinds of links. Have fun.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Check out "Stitch to Fit" that is a new show but I believe she has a video on YouTube