Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nook or Kindle? why and why not >

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 AM

Sorry, I'm from another generation, I guess. I love REAL books. The look of them, the feel of them in my hand, the smell. I love browsing bookstores, new and used. Especially love the musty, dusty smell of used book stores. I love sharing books I've read with others, and receiving theirs. I love pencil marking passages and phrases that impress me and noting any that others may have done. I love the look of books on shelves in my home and the comfort in knowing that I have read 99% of them. They are my friends. Nope, electronics just don't cut it.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM

if i am going to read I want to curl up on the couch with a real book and turn the pages,to get lost in the pages,not a device.IMHO
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 AM

I love my Kindle - It is much lighter than the Nook my DIL got for Christmas. I think if your are really into using all of the features of the Nook you would be happier with it, but the Kindle does what I want it to do.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 AM

interesting topic. keep the comments coming
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I don't have either, but my sil and niece have the nook so they can exchange books if they want. Just an idea
Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 AM

I have had my Kindle for almost 2 years and absolutely LOVE it!

I find lots of good free books are available and rarely pay unless it is an author that I have to have. Besides saving $$$ I have a lot more room for quilting without hundreds of books around the house.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 AM

I just bought the Nook, black and white version. didnt see the need for color at this time. I love it. getting athritus in fingers and it is so light and easy to hold, and turn pages. price was good also. Now I need to make a cute quilty cover for it. LOL
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 AM

Ah! I love the smell of books in the morning! I love books, paper, pens and pencils - I have so many books they are stacked in most rms of the house! (horders?!?) Most are reference type books, you name a catagory I have something. Im in the process of (wand ) scanning to get rid of a lot.
I want an ereader so bad, but cant figure out what to buy. I saw on a home shopping show this AM something called nextbook - very good price:@ 180$ and does what I want (I think) - The electronics show just happened in Las Vegas so Im waiting to see what the next gen in readers will be. (way back in the Dark Ages I worked for a co that did repair/maintenence on computers etc - in the 90s - and they sent reps to this trade show every yr. They came back w/ Dragon software the yr it came out - voice recognition to operate your word doc etc, very zoomy at the time and very expensive. Dragon is still around! but much cheaper now)
I also love audio books, theyre great on long trips, pop in a book and have it read to you makes the miles fly by. My SO has to travel @ 7 hrs each way when he comes and goes from work, once a month. His car only had a cd player and my books were cassettes, so I went to audible.com (I think thats the site) and you can plug in a voice headphone set and record what you read and download it on cds, so I made him a cd of poems and started reading a book for him about a person who sailed solo around the world in the 1800s. He really likes this idea. share t
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPod touch and I'm very happy with that. I need to download the Nook app to see how it works. The touch was the better option for me as I like that it does so many more things than just a reader. I take it everywhere...love, love, love it!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM

I've had my Kindle DX since they came out, I love it. Just using it to read (with the on-line option off) my battery last more than a week without recharging. Lots of books on line and it will read lots of formats.